Nissan develops "self-healing paint"

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2005/_STORY/051202-01-e.html

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.

interesting, would actually like to see this in practice.

:mad: they need to put that shit on my car

word mine too

nanotechnology?

3 Years?

:tup: nissan ftw

Gimmick? Does something in theory but not really effective in practical application? Spending the same money on a higher quality/thicker paint job would be more effective?

I dunno, just seems like it’s not going to work all that well and just wind up as an overpriced option.

not a gimmick - here’s some background, from what I’ve seen it probably does work fairly well.

Performance of Embedded Microspheres for Self-Healing Polymer Composites

Self-Healing Polymers and Other Improved Materials

:cool:

Great idea until your car morphs into a cop then kills you cause you don’t know where John Connor is…

or u hit a pole while drunk and pay for paintwork out of ur pocket

LAWL!

dude, this isnt new technology, this has been on certain audi’s since the early 90’s. i knew a kid with one, he even scratched it on purpose to show me and drove it through a winter , the car was like a 91 and had ABSOLUTELY NO RUST ANYWHERE and was a year round daily driver by him and the guy who owned it before him

I think you are thinking about Audi’s big marketting hoo-hurah about them figuring out a way to galvanize steel and have the paint adhere. Zinc is a fun metal.

This has been developed by some actual chemical companies for longer. I bet Nissan just purchased the technology for a certain period of time before other manufacturers can buy it as well.

Hahaha, galvanized steel… Who woulda thunk it!

my question is, will the paint stand up to a full blown roundhouse kick compliments of chuck norris???

neons had self healing technology on the purple and white cars. Except the healing feature was that if the purple or white got scratched. The car converted to “primer mode” ready to accept a fresh coat.

the paint is just an extreemlly soft compound and in higher temp it will “melt” back to a flat surface or fill low areas. it probablly works great on horizonal planes, i would be interesed to see how well in worked on vertical surfaces when
gravity does not really help the process.

^^^^^^BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHa omg thats it awesome, i love you :rofl: (in a heterosexual kinda way…:gotme:)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!