Paintjobs

If you want to make a car look like the ones in show rooms how would you do that? I was told that if you add more coats of clear and buff the hell out of it, it will shine super nice.

LOL

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1914289

no

I was just asking on how to make the car look extremely glossy… nobody knows??? cmon

basecoat clear, good paint, good clear, buff…shiney :gotme:

You can make any car have a very high gloss. provided its got a decent coat of clear on it.

The car needs to be wet sanded with a orbital sander.
It then needs to be buffed with compund and a power buffer

[quote=“Violator,post:7,topic:37297"”]

You can make any car have a very high gloss. provided its got a decent coat of clear on it.

The car needs to be wet sanded with a orbital sander.
It then needs to be buffed with compund and a power buffer

[/quote]

Exactly

[quote=“kilaminjaro”"]

If you want to make a car look like the ones in show rooms how would you do that? I was told that if you add more coats of clear and buff the hell out of it, it will shine super nice.

[/quote]

how to do factory quality paint jobs:

dont paint everything … just the stuff you really see,
painting thr front of the front door jams is for pussies.
apply the paint really thin at the center of the roof (should be translucent) rockers should basicly be clear coated primer

dont clear cloat anything under the hood or in the trunk jams

make sure that any dirt in the paint is in the basecoat so it cant be sanded out

make sure your bumpers dont match the fenders, paint them off the car using a different quart of paint (preferably the same paintcode from a different store / brand) … this also applies to any other plastic painted parts on the car (rocker covers, factory scoops ect)

lastly, make sure all your panel gaps only look good from 20+ feet away

done !

lol

i would put 3 coats of clear on, then sand it down with 800 grit on a soft pad da sander and then re clear it again, or u can sand it down with 1500 grit ona soft pad da sander and go through th buffing process

dont bother with the sand / reclear deal

primer, base, clear (to much clear just causes extra rock chipping) the 1500 and 2000 and buff

and when your wetsanding, if u dry off a section it might LOOK like your smooth (no shiney spots in the lows of the orange peel) but you might not actualy be smooth yet, and orange peel will show in your final (buffed) finish

if your going to do your own paint / buff, i suggest doing the wetsanding of the clear using a soft pad and not a DA

its a good workout, and its a good way to learn what your actuay doing w/ the DA … and youll have to handsand anything thats not a convex panel anyways …

and also of note, spi has great & inexpensive primer & clear

ask for Barry K, tell him Lowrollerchevy sent ya (no i dont get a kickback)

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:12,topic:37297"”]

if your going to do your own paint / buff, i suggest doing the wetsanding of the clear using a soft pad and not a DA

[/quote]

not the best advice imo

if ya want it to look good … NO da for the wet sand … hand only …

[quote=“BDR5oh,post:14,topic:37297"”]

if ya want it to look good … NO da for the wet sand … hand only …

[/quote]

My mustang was wet sanded with a orbital and the paint was show gloss.
Most wont get even pressure with hand sanding.

most wont use a DA the correct way either. im with hand sanding.