Patriots fined... *Updated with fines*

Can’t believe no one mentioned it sooner…

Cliffs: Patriots Videographer (direct team employee) busted videotaping nothing but the opposing teams play calling signals all game.

Initially, http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8023a2fb&template=with-video&confirm=true

Posted: 3 hours 58 minutes ago Patriots accused of spying on Jets’ signals during game

NEW YORK – The NFL is looking into claims a New England Patriots employee was videotaping signals by Jets coaches on New York’s sideline during the season opener.

The investigation was first reported by ESPN.com, which said that NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England’s 38-14 victory Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets’ defensive coaches, who were sending signals out to the players, sources told the Web site.

“The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game,” the league said in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited.
“We are looking into whether the Patriots violated this rule.”

The story was first reported on the Web site of Jets Confidential, which said the Jets chief of security alerted NFL security about the issue during the game.

“With anything along those lines, those are all league-related matters, and anything that deals with an issue like this or anything on a team-by-team basis, those all go to the league,” coach Eric Mangini said in his news conference Monday.

When asked if the Jets had in fact notified the league, he said: “It’s all a league matter.”

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined comment. New England cornerback Ellis Hobbs said he was unaware of the controversy, and unwilling to believe his team had cheated.

“We put too many hours in as individuals and a team to have to go out and cheat,” he said. “If it’s true, obviously, we’re in the wrong. But I’m standing behind my team, my coaches. I don’t think we do that stuff.”
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Now:

Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke rules by taping Jets’ signals

By Chris Mortensen

Updated: September 11, 2007, 7:32 PM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets coaches, according to league sources.
NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets’ defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots “multiple draft picks” because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.
The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday’s game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone. 

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

wow, just wow.

so that’s why they’re so good. fuck you brady!

That is clearly the only reason why they won. There will be no other side to this story. This team is a bunch of suckers. Bill Belichickis a hack and needs to resort to cheating to beat teams like the Green Bay packers. Those three rings were directly the result of this cheating, clearly.

bellicheck can diaf. or go back to the hobo boxing ring he came from.

im cool with brady though, hes a michigan alumn.

moss…idk traitor.

i knew it. fuck the pats those cheating bastards

teams have been spying on other teams hand signals and play calls forever… but this is not cool.

[quote=“walter,post:4,topic:35213"”]

That is clearly the only reason why they won. There will be no other side to this story. This team is a bunch of suckers. Bill Belichickis a hack and needs to resort to cheating to beat teams like the Green Bay packers. Those three rings were directly the result of this cheating, clearly.

[/quote]

though I agree with your stance completely, :walter:, its a bit over the top. lol.

Still, this is a very gross violation.

Also, there have been mentions & suspicions of the Pats doing this in the past, though this is the first time with having “evidence”.

:fyi:

http://www.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/1118/photo/a_billick_195.jpg

billick>belicheck anyway

where there’s smoke, there’s fire. There have been numerous reports of belichick and his cronies trying shit like this before. Not that they’re not a team, but they try to break the rules and get away with it way too much. Kind of like his mockery of the injury report system.

In the words of the great LT, “They’re a classless organization, and to me, that starts with the head coach and the guys upstairs.”

If you think that the Pats are the only ones who try to gain a competetive advantage ( aka "cheating) by stealing signs or any number of other tactics that are common place in the league, then you are a fucking moron.

People will always go after whoever is on top. Sure, they deserve the consequences. People boo-hooing about it are a bunch of sorry saps though doing nothing more than blowing it out of proportion.

Belichick is far from a moron. A guy on the sideline with a video camera is hardly a very intelligent tactic.

Another espn.com article with a slightly more rational approach to the whole thing: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3014944

lil defensive walter ? :wink:

[quote=“walter,post:11,topic:35213"”]

If you think that the Pats are the only ones who try to gain a competetive advantage ( aka "cheating) by stealing signs or any number of other tactics that are common place in the league, then you are a fucking moron.

[/quote]

:word:

[quote=“Adictd2b00st,post:12,topic:35213"”]

[/quote]

Of course! You know the Pats need all the help they can get to beat the Jets

:hay:

That being said, I don’t see why they are videotaping. Fuck that. Hire someone who knows what they are doing and descramble the radio transmissions. That’s what I would do :shrug:

[quote=“Rx3,post:14,topic:35213"”]

Of course! You know the Pats need all the help they can get to beat the Bills

:hay:

[/quote]

Fixed

From what I remember the Patriots/Belichik always did this from what I heard last season but I didnt know they were videotaping the opponents sidelines. Just basically heard they would watch film and figure out all the signs which is legal.

Fucking cheaters.

Seriously, I think they should go back and look at every super bowl that NE has won. I bet you can pick out 5 methods of cheating for each super bowl.

Fucking cheaters.

[quote=“Adictd2b00st,post:12,topic:35213"”]

[/quote]

Nah, its about the 15th time it had come up yesterday. Just the first time on here. :massmoon:

Doesn’t bother me at all. Take away the draft picks and watch them like hawks all you want, it’ll make winning even sweeter :massmoon:

lol, im sure that cheating isnt the reason for new englands success. Just look at the roster, however i do believe that it has helped in aiding an already skilled team to be an elite team. Which to me is pathetic and should be punishable by death.:lol:

go bills!!! :frowning:

All i can remember when i heard this is tom brady crying about the dolphins cheating last year after getting whooped by miama dolphins. Ahhh, so karma realy does exist.

[quote=“walter,post:11,topic:35213"”]

[/quote]