Penn Residency

I was recently laid off, and have been contiplating moving back to the Pittsburgh area. I was curious how much bullshit being a PA resident came with.

For example. In Ohio, I have cheap car insurance, No Echeck, and i dont have to pay property taxes on my cars.

What is it like for PA residents? Ideally I’d like to maintain Ohio residency and possibly commute to Pitts, but my job search turned up a job in Bethlehem, PA. Which is about 3 hours from Ohio. Seems like a pretty good job, but that would be a hell of a commute :slight_smile:

Anyone know anything about Bethlehem?

TIA,

Howard

dont move here

our roads are pathetic…

Isn’t Bethlehem over by Philly? Also, Pittsburgh is slowly going to start turning into a slum. With a mayor who hates the police, insane parking costs in town, 1000% increase in occupation tax. What else? Oh yea spending millions of dollars on a convention center that is already falling apart, terrible school system, soon to be rising crime rate, since the police are so under staffed, and slowly getting less and less pay, so that the ones left don’t care anymore, the roads, and so on. If you want to move somewhere go move to Virginia somewhere in the DC area, that place is exploding with growth. Oh, did I mention our mayor sucks and the city is bankrupt?

I think he means PA in general, not necessarily right in the city.

• property (real estate) taxes vary greatly be region - there are 3 parts: school, county and local; rough numbers: $250K house is around $2500-$5000 a year for all three; check somewhere like howardhanna.com to see examples
  • state tax is around 2.8X% (I think it went up a little bit recently)
  • state sales tax is 6% (7% in Allegheney county)
  • local wage taxes are usually around 1%
  • there’s a $10 a year wage tax
  • there is state inspection; emissions testing also varies depending on location and if your car is '96 or newer (there is a thread about this)
  • not sure how car insurance costs compare
  • there is no personal property tax

That’s all I can think of right now.

Pittsburgh does suck. Thats because they are taxing us to death because our stoopid-ass mayor is well…stupid, and the city is so democratic its pathetic. Also, if you do want to move here…a good place would be Cranberry, etc. Places that are in the suburbs and out of Allegheny county.

Thanks for all the input guys. Still no job yet. If anyone knows of any openings for a Network Engineer… let me know :wink: