Pet ALERT! Jerky Treats

My princess gets Blue Buffalo for food and Blue Dog Bakery for treats.

http://www.bluedogbakery.com/aboutus

Feed my dogs Taste of the Wild and Mother Hubbard treats. They occasionally get greenies but they’re so freakin’ expensive it’s not that often.

The thing with cheap dog food is that it’s really not any cheaper than the expensive stuff when you factor in how much you have to feed your dog of the crap to get the same nutrition as the nice stuff.

And future vet bills when your dog has health problems at 3

My dude is on Purina food. 2 more months he will be a year old and I think I’ll make the switch to Blue Buffalo.

dude…

You might as well be feeding him sawdust.

Bump.

So my dude has been having some skin allergy issues. He broke out in hives and has very dry skin. The vet recommended Science Diet for Sensitive Skin over Blue Buffalo when I asked. He also recommended Benadryl for the scratching so he gets this every morning. Along with that he gets oatmeal baths frequently along with brushing his hair as well after every one. It’s been almost a month now and I see no changes. The dandruff from dry skin has been exfoliating to the surface but won’t stop. I thought for sure after a month of this food cycling in his system that it would help eliminate or damn near it. I don’t want to keep switching his food unless I really have to and even then I’d like to find one that works the best and stick with it. I’ve heard a few rumors that the Vet’s recommned the food he’s on because they pay a certain portion of schooling/supplies basically a sponsor. I’ve also tried adding fish oil to his diet on top of dry food but didn’t see results. Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Your pitbull is a bitch…

I’ve always had great results from Eukanuba with my pit mix. I have her on Diamond for now (that’s what my new pups were one from the breeders) but there is a significant difference in the shine of her coat and dandruff. I’ll be switching her back once the pups get to a year old.

You can use tea tree oil on them.

Sent from my MotoX using Tapatalk

He will be a year this week so that’s why I’m looking for a permanent switch. Blue Buffalo seems much more appealing the more I read about it. They have many different product lines but I’m not entirely sure on what to go with for sensitive skin.

My dog had severe skin issues. His chest, belly and arm pits would break out with red spots, looked like pimples. Hair started to fall out on his chest. We tried everything, pills, creams, vet of course wanted to keep him on pills for ever. Seriously probably spent 2 grand in a few months time. Switched to blue buffalo wilderness duck recipe and within a few weeks his skin allergy went away, coat is shinny and hes much happier. A lot of dogs have issues with grain. The wilderness recipe food is grain free.

Of course they want you to buy science diet, you can only get it at the vet.

If the skin issue is dietary, try making your own:

Boil white rice with boneless chicken thighs (thighs are cheaper than breasts, but seem fattier) and frozen veggies.

Eggs are suppose to be good for the coat:

I’m am sure that there are counter arguments for all of the above.

yea, science diet recommendation is definitely based on how much of a commission he gets.

get rid of the grains from his diet.

aka, blue buffalo freedom or wilderness should be good. be careful with the treats.

I was going to try this route but if you look online there are tons of horrible reviews…

Been feeding my golden Taste of the Wild (most of the time the High Prairie Formula, but sometimes Wetlands) since she was maybe 8 months old. The vet I went too did Science Diet, which I used until I discovered the dog food analysis site and what I read wasn’t pretty.

The Mother Hubbard treats are one of my choices for her.

Gave Blue Buffalo a call, super nice and pleasant people to talk to, great CS! I’m going to switch him to the BB Basics since its grain/chicken free and is primarily for sensitive stomachs as well. The wilderness series is more directed closer to a raw diet from what I understand for very active dogs. The treats they recommended me to the wilderness turkey or salmon ones. I swear these dogs eat better than us, ha. I’m looking forward to hopefully resolving this issue, hopefully this will help. Thanks for all the input! :tup:

Edit: What Vet do you guys go to?

to BB freedom? or wilderness?

either way, i’ve had nothing but good results from it.

• Updated - - -

I’ve got no complaints.

Well im going to make the switch this month and see how they do

We go to adoring pets in orchard park? I think it is…they’re very familiar with great Danes there and they do a fantastic job. When you hear your vet say that he wouldn’t trade his job for anything, it’s reassuring.

We have Bambi on science diet, but only because it was the only one she’d eat. We tried Eukanuba and blue buffalo and she liked then at first but would stop eating them.

Make sure you do the gradual switch over to the new food to avoid the pups getting sick. You probably knew that but some people don’t