Petition to Eliminate Thruway Tolls From the Buffalo Commuting Area

Sweeeeet! I signed it… and I enjoy how they spelled thruway too!

“Petition to Eliminate Thurway Tolls”
in big bold letters. that’s a good way to get people to take you seriously.

and to those crazies who are pro tolls: brush up on your thruway history.
:c P

not signing it. a good friend of mine would be out of a good job!

don’t accuse me of not knowing my history… that money goes to pay DOT workers, etc - whatever… if that money wasn’t there, i’m sure the roads could suck way worse

i’m just saying

OK PEEEEEOPLE.

I work for the nys thruway…as a toll collector.

Tolls don’t just pay for road maintence. They also pay for road engineers, tow truck drivers, SNOW PLOW DRIVERS, rest area workers, and State Troopers…the list goes on and on.

So next time you have a flat or you break down. Your gonna have to tow your own car home.

Next time some ass-clown kid side-swipes you. The trooper isn’t coming to fill out a police report.

There is only one authorized company who can do tow-offs on the thruway… and thats Rusiniaks. Guess who pays Rusiniaks? Yes correct, the tolls.

YOU KNOW WHAT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!! Faggot pussies who complain about it being raised $0.15-$0.30. THE THRUWAY HAS NOT RAISED IT’S TOLL PRICES FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

So over the course of 20 years, the price of something went up 0.15 cents. :bloated:

Find me something else that 20 years ago, cost within $0.15 that it does now. Clothes, gas, HOUSES, books, newspapers…EVERYTHING IS UP.

People need to stop fucking complaining about a quarter…if your really that concerned, get EZ-PASS, and get your company to pay for your travel expenses.

The people that complain are generally the people that buy $75 colognes, $180 sunglasses, $50 white t-shirts etc etc.

The tolls generate NYS 1 million dollars a day. You can sign it all you want, it will never ever change anything.

hmm I thought I paid AAA to pay for the tow truck to come pick up my ass.

What your saying is the tolls pay the tow truck driver so that means I dont and get towed for free cause I pay tolls?

Besides, the two tolls going into buffalo where supposed to removed a very long time ago.

There really is very little money generated, there are 2 people on every shift for one booth ('cause there are so many paid breaks) then there is pretty much a chief for every indian, then add in all the other BS. Also keep in mind the benefits and the “make things worse for the economy” Unions that they have to pay. They really don’t collect a lot.

You’ve obviously been brainwashed, or are doing this to KEEP YOUR JOB. (and all the benefits)
x…

stfu

if they let AAA tow trucks on the highway it wouldnt be an issue, and if you fired you, my lazy aunt, and all the other unskilled workers making too much for what they do; i dont think the missing toll money will be a big issue.

I think the tollbooths are there for a two fold reason…

A: The state ie: Albany and therefore NYC gets money from the tolls collected
B: All the gas people waste by sitting in line at the tolls, well they have to buy more gas to make up for that. And what do you know, NY gets money from the taxes on gas.

(ok im not really being serious, but it makes sense dont you think)

Last time I checked the price is about $25-$50 more for a tow truck to pick you up off the side of the road because they charge the tow trucks to come out and get you on the thruway :bloated: I highly doubt NYS is paying a tow truck company to pick people up off the side of the road. Don’t you think if that was the case, people would be getting towed off the side of the road for free??? And you’re also wrong about only Rusiniaks can come on the thruway. They are all broken up by 20 mile increments, if you break down at mile 281.2, you get Tow Truck company A, if you break down at mile marker 318.2, you get Tow truck company B, so STFU.

You are right on one thing though, it is a huge money maker for the state. But all that unskilled labor making 15-20 an hour depending on length of service, can be cut by half. How hard is it for someone to sit in a toll booth and collect coins? I think they’d be lucky if they made $8 and hour, so don’t cry me a river if these people get put out of a job, they can just as easily walk over to McDonalds and get paid what they’re worth. Sorry, but that is the truth, you can’t say that that job warrants such a high pay can you?

All in all it’s just another one of NY States over spending and overutilization. If you go to Massachusetts, the first 4-5 exits are free going west, and all the way to the end of the Mass Pike, at most you will pay is like $3.20 and it’s almost as long as the NYS Thruway. I just think that we are getting overcharged as usual and why in earth would we have to pay an extra $.75 to cross a bridge to grand island or use a certain part of the 190?

“These toll booths will be here until we pay for the thruway. We’ll take them out as soon as it’s paid for… Juuuuust kidding. We’ll keep them there, and use the money for other things, too. Booyah. Thanks.” >>>>

–Thruway users also see a large chunk of the tolls going to maintain the state’s canal system, as well as two toll-free highways downstate.–

“OH! AND!! We want to make you pay tolls so we can fix the tolls so people can get through them faster.” >>>>

–The additional toll revenue also will help fund technological improvements, such as installing a new E-ZPass system at the congested Williamsville toll barrier.–

PFFFFFF.

–But critics noted that about a fourth of tolls now go to fund nonmainline Thruway efforts, such as the canals and the downstate interstates.–

1/4!!!

:c P

(http://www.isledegrande.com/thruway-tolls-rise4-26-05.htm)

Adam, you are on some crazy crack or some shit… Janny said it right, all the fucking toll money goes downstate. If the toll money was put back into the city of Buffalo to maintain and fix the roads as well as improve the city, I wouldn’t have as many issues with it as I do now.

Oh and BTW, I had to fix a tire on the side of the road on the 190 and Statey pretty much told me to move the fuck on ASAP with whizzing cars by me and then took off.

i get more races and less tickets when i dont take the thruway.

I did 120+ on it like 3 times today though.

Where have I been that the thruway is “well maintained”? :bloated: Every time I take a road trip, its amazing how much better the interstates are in every other state i’ve been to, AND THEY’RE FREE.
Once you get past the PA border there’s not a toll from here to the south end of Florida on either route you can take , except for like a 50 center in South Carolina. How does every other state manage to maintain their roads without tolls? Maybe they have higher taxes? Oh wait, we have the highest.

Eh, PA Highways are in rough shape. but aside from…

Some PA highways…the only one that was bad that i know of was 79 and they’re fixing that whole thing. Oh, and the twisties on Highway 15, but those are fun as hell

also not to mention.

if you eliminate the tolls, the only money your going to be saving is that of the salary of collectors.

police are still going to be used, and as would maintence.

also, the cost of the tolls, is absorbing our property taxes. So if you get rid of the tolls, anywhere you get rid of them, tax payers in that area would have to pay for it.

So in buffalo if you pay $2500 a year now for property taxes, you would end up paying closer to $4000 without tolls.

50% of all traffic through the tolls, is also out of towners. Your gonna let them ride for free? They are the ones who cause most of the road damage, and accidents. Fucking canadians. Without tolls, who do you think is going to pay for it…yes tax payers.

-beck

hey asshat, read the petition, its only for the buffalo area. the tolls should be out past hamburg, and out by pembrook.

its not to get rid of them completely

reading comprehension

now stop your arguing, you are pulling numbers out of your ass and making a fool of yourself.

dude, you are so out in left field… the tolls have nothing to do with property taxes, at least not as much as YOU think they would.

I don’t mind paying to use the road, but $7.30 to drive 190 miles to Utica (my hometown) is outrageous. That equates to almost 4 cents a mile :bloated:. It should be at most $4.00 the whole way. However, this topic is about Buffalo tolls, and they SHOULD be taken out because they are located in pointless places. Where most larger cities do not have to deal with tolls around their city’s border, why should buffalo have them to enter the city? When they were first introduced, it was someone’s grand idea to put them there to increase revenue in NYS 2nd largest city because they knew people would have to travel that route. Now it’s getting out of hand.

on a side note, I drove around Grand Island today so I didn’t have to pay the 75 cents :slight_smile:

lol…I think the tolls should be on the thruway EXITING the city, so there’s no cover charge to get in.

Anyway, why is this still a sticky? it’s a pointless issue.