peyton manning retiring?

Few little stories about this on the net talking about this?
Any truth?

check wikipedia

Irsay and Archie both say it is not true. I do like Irsay’s rebuttal tweet to Lowe though.

The only reason I could see it might be true is because of Andrew Luck. Indy is going to have two #1 guys but only one can have the #1 spot. Indy just ate Mannings 28 million dollar bonus so they aren’t planning to trade him. Maybe he’s being told “you’re going to be #2 and help train Luck” and isn’t big on being a #2.

That seems silly, if Manning can get back to full health, they would be smart and have Luck sit a season or two behind Manning learning.

They did not pay his bonus yet, thats why this is still being discussed. The Colts either pay him, cut him,or he retires a Colt. I think he wants to play and will seek a new team. Likely landing spot NY JETS!

I would be very surprised to see him retire. There are a lot of team in the NFL now that need a great QB. The league is a passing league right now, and there aren’t enough elite QBs to go around.

I wonder… if they restructure his contract and push it out 2-3yrs, to open up cap room for Luck, he sits for a season or 2 “learning” by then Manning will want to retire and he will naturally take over the starting spot and be ready to take off.

I don’t see ANY reason that the Colts don’t draft Luck if he is as good as they say that he is. You MUST look to the future of your club, and sadly Payton is not it. He’s old and missed the whole past season and still not sure if he can make the up and coming season!

Payton will also retire a Colt, they “owe” that to him. He has carried that franchise for the last 5yrs!

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Mid March they have to pay him by i think…

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Mid March they have to pay him by i think…

We’re talking about someone who has been regarded a player/coach for most of his career. The guy has a ton of value on and off the field so I don’t think he’ll be leaving the Colts. If there is any reason he doesn’t play it will likely be related to his injury.

Sidenote: my gf is in PT at Daemen and her professors have brought this up in classes. Apparently the type of surgery he had makes him incredibly vulnerable to serious injury if he decided to play again. And by serious injury I mean paralysis. They are outraged at the thought of him even considering getting back on the field.

I think hes old and beat up but as long as he doesn’t ask for some crazy big contract for a long term he will be fine. He is a smart guy, team player, and still has some good mentoring and leadership in him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Indy kept him for a few more years and slowly phased Luck in after learning from Manning.

Reading Paulo’s comment about the injury, maybe he is retiring from QB and will just be around for coaching and mentoring off the field.

I think hes old and beat up but as long as he doesn’t ask for some crazy big contract for a long term he will be fine. He is a smart guy, team player, and still has some good mentoring and leadership in him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Indy kept him for a few more years and slowly phased Luck in after learning from Manning.

Reading Paulo’s comment about the injury, maybe he is retiring from QB and will just be around for coaching and mentoring off the field.

I didn’t realize the injury was this serious.

Itd make me sad to see him on the sidelines… hes my fav player in the nfl. :frowning:

Yep. I think the whole Manning vs Brady thing got answered this season. Brady is great, but he has a great team around him. When he goes down NE still wins a lot of games. Manning is so good that he can carry the entire team, and without him they’re horrible. Imagine giving Manning the weapons NE has to work with.

Itd make me sad to see him on the sidelines… hes my fav player in the nfl. :frowning:

Guy’s a total douchebag, a lot of people don’t see it though. I would be surprised if he retired.

Nice try but you failed too. Lol.