Phone gurus

Is it ‘bad’ for your phone battery to use the phone while it’s charging? I’m assuming that the phone ‘knows’ it’s on charge and uses the available external power to operate the phone without using the battery, but I’m not sure. I’ve always tried to avoid using my phones while on charge but sometimes I need to.

Current phone is Verizon iPhone 4. Coulden’t deal with the cheap one I had for a few days. Oh well, it’s a major upgrade as I get a discount thru work, and Verizon’s coverage is about, oh, 47 times better than ATT.

Should be fine. Unless you plan on having the phone until iPhone 7 comes out, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Verizon told me to charge it at least twice a week with the phone off to help battery life. I never do.

I keep mine on the charger all day at work and occationally use it. Still good after a year and a half.

I use mine constantly while on the charger. Never have had a problem.

This.

I drive and have it plugged into the adapter for music always. Currently on an iPhone4 and my 3GS was fine doing the same for two years.

My droid is never off except when I need to reboot it once in awhile. No issues charging it while the phone was on for any “newer” phones I’ve used even the cheap ones.

with newer batteries it shouldn’t matter

you might get cancer in your penis from doing that but thats the only real risk

it doesnt make the slightest difference at all if you use the phone while it charges

You fuckin rebel

This

Generally MOST phones when charging work as a pass through, when your using it while plugged in the power is more or less comming from the source rather then the battery

Regardless it would not matter, modern electronic batteries are lithium and not Nickel Cadmium like they used to, they do not build up memories or need to be “trained”

Although it is not a good thing to allow your cell phone or any Lithium based batteries to completely discharge as it will shorten the overall life span of the battery down the road

yeah but if you’re like me, you throw away phones every few months anyways. So fuck batteries.