Phone Insurance Question

i didn’t know sprint didn’t cover water damage. that’s fucked up.

Peel off the stickers in the battery that show water damage. Let the phone sit without its battery on for a day or 2. Putting it on too early will short it out.

Take it into Sprint and see what you can do. I used to do it with Verizon. If you take the stickers off that show its water damaged, the most of the time will just give you a new one if there is no physical damage.

I dont know any carried who covers water damage. Its a personal/accidental damage type policy you need. Most of the $5/month coverage plans only cover free deductibles on mechanical damage when things stop working. Water/accidental always requires you to pay a deductible so even if you ran it over with your car after you left it in the ran, still $50 for a normal cell phone.

Careful with that, if they figure out what went down they can charge you the price of the phone, seeing as it’s fraud and all…

also, if a sticker is missing, anyone that’s been around for more than a day should know something is up.

It’s all taken care of, i’ll have a new phone tomorrow.

No text bombs!

WARRANTY shouldn’t cover water damage. INSURANCE should. With deductible. He was saying Sprint wouldn’t even cover it with deductible. If their policy says no, that’s shady on their part. Although in that case it really only preys on the stupid who don’t read up and just “lose” their phone.

don’t listen to evolve, he knows nothing about cell phone providers

Its worked most of the time I went into Verizon since the techs werent Verizon employees. I used to break a phone every 2 months. At worst, they just said it was $50 to get a new one. It might of changed tho. Last time I broke my phone on Verizon, I had to file a claim online and do it that way becuase my phone ended up in like 5 pieces. Guess I couldn’t say it was water damaged.

Insurance and Accidental insurance are different depending on the companies. I have insurance on my iPhone which is basically an extended warranty against defects like battery or mechanical through normal use. I had to tag on a accidental damage which covered personal negligence to it like dropping it, getting it wet, etc.

That is pretty shitty tho that Sprint wouldn’t cover water damage with a deductable.

the individual carriers dont insure the phones. Its all third party companies.

IE: asurion, lockline…

asurion has always been on the ball for me. 50 bucks for a new phone is much nicer than having to buy the whole thing any day

if i was making an insurance claim id always say i lost the phone anyway. even a peaced phone gets some cash on ebay.

I don’t know if Asurion will let you get away with paying 50 bucks though for the “stolen” phone

just pull everything apart and let it dry out, many times it will work fine.

my wife drops her phone in water or spills shit on her phone almost monthly… we try to keep the insurance claims to quarterly so we always try and let it dry out for a day or two.

AT&T doesn’t let you get accidental insurance on their higher end phones. I can’t speak for the other carriers because I’ve never worked for them, but as far as Verizon goes it’s a $50 deductible for Lost/Stolen/Physically Damaged/Moisture Damaged whether it’s an LG VX-10 or an LG Dare.

The only thing Verizon’s insurance policy through Asurion doesn’t cover is intentional damage (ie. you throw it against the wall because you’re mad).

I had accidental coverage with the $5/month on my Black Jack II. Deductable was $125 tho instead of $50. The only phone you can not last time I checked was the iPhone but you can get that through

Wrong again. Called Asurion about my SCH-U740 when it was in 3 pieces and told them that one time it dropped off a balcony at a bar throwing it to my friend. The lady laughed and said they sent me out a new one and just told me to mail all my pieces back.

It’s not wrong. You just got lucky. I’ve had people come to me crying because they accidentally told Asurion the reason their phone is broke because of something they did out of anger and Asurion won’t cover it.

I guess AT&Ts policy changed but I do know that some phones you are still not able to fully insure. What kind of coverage do you have on your iPhone (I know you have one because you make a point to mention it every time you could just normally say “phone”)? That still blows that the deductible changes based on model (although it makes sense, but from a CS perspective it just isn’t smart).

EDIT: Throwing it to your friend isn’t something of anger/intentional destruction. Him not catching it is an accident, thus it was covered.

boxxa, you are speaking of one incident. you got lucky.

As a rule, intentional damage is not coverege.

Honestly, why would you tell them you threw your phone in anger in the first place? Anytime I dealt with them,you simple say it fell in water or it hit the ground. If they ask you how, just say you dropped it on the sidewalk/off a balcony, etc depending on how much the damage was. Obviously, if its in 5 pieces, you dont

I got iPhone insurance through SquareTrade.com which was 80ish bucks after discount for 3 years that covers all types of damage except it being stolen I think. I mention phone and iPhone different in cell phone talk becuase it does fall under different coverages since its an exception to insurance, cell phone plans (with regards to optional data), and activation.

For example, the only phone you have to have a dataplan from ATT to use it.

You would be surprised how dumb people are. I see people all the time who think they are cool and tough for throwing it against a wall or smashing it. At least they are being honest though, so I do appreciate that.