Photo people enter.

So i took pics sunday at a auto-x

A lot of them turned out like this, why is this, and how can i correct this.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3020/dsc0058fs.jpg

What type of camera are you using?

looks like you had the ISO cranked up.

d40

WTF? exif says you have a D40? Was this autocross at night?

Do you have an example raw from the camera? Your exif data is missing what ISO these were shot and and I’m guessing that’s because what ever you edited them with stripped that info.

That much noise definitely looks like an ISO problem but man I don’t think I could get that much noise out of my D40 shooting an autocross at midnight in an unlit lot. Shutter speed was up there pretty high at 1/1250 so my guess is it was cloudy out and not enough light for that fast a shutter. The camera probably cranked the ISO up to 1600 to compensate (*assuming you have auto-iso enabled).

Always shoot a couple test pictures and look at them in the viewfinder to see how your exposure is doing. With a D40 if the shutter speed is too fast it will bitch saying “picture too dark” or something along those lines. Just frame your shot, hit info and look at the display. Same thing if the shutter is too slow it will complain about being too bright.

It was slightly cloudy out, auto x was during the day.

I have not edited the photos yet, i uploaded that straight from the camera.

I used my 50 mm - F/1.8 - Nikon F for that picture.

After looking at the settings iso was set to Hi, noise reduction was off and image quality was set to jpeg basic

HI-1 ISO is bad. That’s ISO 3200 equivalent. Combine that with the fast shutter and yeah, your pictures come out like the one above.

I like the auto iso at times because I’d rather have a little noise and be in focus than blurry with no noise but I have it set for a max of 800. If it needs an ISO over 800 to make the picture visible I’d rather have it show up dark on the LCD so I know to dial in some more shutter time. It’s harder to notice noise on the camera LCD.

alright cool, is there any way the correct my pictures now or is it a waste.

ISO had to be cranked way the F up because you’re at a 1/1250s and f/18, that’s a very fast shutter with a tiny aperture opening, only way to get that is TONS of light, or very high ISO. Secondly don’t use auto modes, you didn’t buy a point and shoot, you have an DSLR. From the looks of it you probably should have been ISO 100 or 200, the car is just sitting there so motion isn’t an issue, I would likely shoot it around a 1/200 at f/9.

You could look for some real good noise elimination plugins for photoshop but that’s a TON of noise to try and get rid of. I’ve heard good things about Noise Ninja but never tried it.

it wasnt in an auto mode.

What should the settings be on my camera then.

as stated, ISO should be at 100,200,300,400 tops

somewhere in there

Nope. If there was a quick fix to eliminating high ISO noise without losing clarity there would be no reason to own a full frame camera, or anything better than an entry level DSLR for that matter.

If its shot in RAW you can do noise reduction on it, but it will lose clarity in the process. If that was shot as a JPEG then you might as well delete the picture because you can’t do anything with it.

Program mode is nearly the same thing as an auto mode.

You should be shooting in aperture priority.

oh yeah, image quality should be RAW

so shoot in aperture priority and should i shoot them in raw instead of jpeg

edit nvm

what else should i change settings wise

Yes and yes.

Not trying to be mean, learning photography certainly takes a while. Experiment with different f stops for each shot you take. Take the same picture with 3 or 4 different f stops, then analyze them on the computer and see what the difference is.

f/1.8 - lets in lots of light, can run fast shutter speeds for fast motion objects, but very shallow depth of field

f/22 - lets in very small amount of light, needs longer shutter speed, gives very big depth of field.

awesome, and i knew getting into this i have a lot to learn.