Physics Question

Because a plane needs air to be moving, not the ground, the question boils down to whether or not the plane will end up moving relative to the air.

It will end up moving relative to the air if the thrust can overcome the drag from the locked (actually, moving in the opposite direction) tires.

I don’t know who here has flown a plane…

… but if you lock the brakes and add full thrust in a Cessna, it ain’t goin anywhere. If you did that in a 747 … that’s a different question entirely. I don’t personally know what would happen.

If the plane can generate enough thrust to overcome the drag caused by the tires, it will move forward.
If it can’t, it won’t.

man…this harder on you guys than I thought…

this is just a mental trap…you do understand that dont you?

its a red herring to confuse the young minds…

the conveyor, the wheels are not relevant to the system we are describing(the plane)

it will act as it always does…and take off…

DUDE… the jet is NOT fixed to the ground…so your engine test has no relevance at all…

re: the wheels… the plane does not know it has silly wheels…it moves independantly from them… they are just sticks used to hold it up off the ground…

ok…i have to look for some more easier to understand data on this… you guys are getting very mired down in this…

its an easy question to answer…you are just thinking about it in the wrong way…

wow…this question is being bickerd about on alot of threads… neat anyway…

ok…here is one that i pulled from a physics forum…and this guy sums it up pretty much as I believe…(and is true) here is what he said

"Plane takes off, as it does in the “original problem”. Engines apply force in direction d, wheels provide rolling resistance in direction -d. Since airplanes have engines designed to overcome all resisting forces likely to be encountered, plane moves forward, as is expected by conservation of momentum (thrust directed backwards, equal and opposite force forwards.

The conveyor belt is merely an unneeded contrivance to trick the gullible; this is a simple force balances problem with engine forces in one direction and resisting forces in another. Planes are designed to overcome resisting forces (wheels, drag, etc.) so off we go. For those who think otherwise, consider that the plane doesn’t “know” it has wheels, it just feels resisting forces on its wheel struts that are further transmitted to the body. The fact those resisting forces are generated by “rolling friction” doesn’t change the fact they are still simple adverse forces, like having the brakes on or having an uphill runway. The rolling conveyor is just a method of inducing added rolling friction force, it does not impart any rearward motion to the plane as the vector addition of the engine force and the resisting forces balance in favor of the engine.

Again, the key is that engine forces overwhelm adverse force by orders of magnitude in real aircraft. For those who think the conveyor moves the plane backwards, consider a plane confronting an uphill runway. When brakes are released the plane rolls back slightly then engines take charge and plane moves forward. The “thought experiment” of the conveyor somehow implies, equivalently, that the “uphill” runway dynamically get “steeper” as the plane attempts to make progress against it (implication: increasing adverse force). But airplanes, as we understand them, do not meet increasing adverse forces the engines can’t overcome (except for aero drag). That is, rolling resistance is negligible.

To pound the point home further, for those who somehow think the plane is “attached” to the conveyor and is moved backwards diabolically just as the plane tries to move forward: the plane’s engines do work W = F ds. For the conveyor to move the plane backwards the conveyor has to do the exact reverse. The only “F” the conveyor has to work with is the rolling resistance and shear inertia. Not enough, as demonstrated by planes taking off from non-conveyor runways. For those who think situation is same as runner on a treadmill: not the same. Runner/treadmill is a “closed system” while airplane engines working against air is an “open sysem”.

Note to Atl5p: you can attempt to reformulate this problem all you like, but until you constrain the plane to act in non-normal plane-like ways, you’re stuck: the plane flys. Forget the dumb conveyor and just do a little vector algebra to see why. "

Adam… there are planes that, when given full thrust at a standstill, will not move because the drag from the locked tires is greater than max thrust.

Certain planes that must take off on shorter runways use this technique… that is, they lock the brakes… give full thrust… then release brakes.

man, I cannot believe that some of you passed high school physics.
Adam is probably the only one here that even understands the concept. The plane will take off and the thrust from the jet engines will make the plane move.

Slow at first, but the amount of air that will pass through the engines and around the wings will be enough to actually lift the plane.
It will take off assuming the tires don’t blow up because of heat (i.e. because of friction b/w the them and the conveyor belt).

louis110, honestly though, you shouldn’t brag about being in aero engineering when you can’t even draw a basic free body diagram for yourself.

thank you lith…

re: the wheels locked?
why the heck would the planes wheels have the brakes on? of course then the planes motion would be ZERO…and so would the conveyor since it would be standing still as well…and it would not be a question at all…

yes…this makes me a bit worried about the state of university physics…from what I have seen so far…

This whole debate is all a matter of interpreting the belt’s control mechanism…

The question isnt’ specific as to whether the control mechanism causes the conveyor to move backwards at a speed (relative to the ground) equal to the plane’s speed relative to the ground, or at a speed that is equal to the plane’s speed relative to the conveyor.

The answer to this determines the answer to the whole question.

no no no…

the conveyor and its control mechinism has no bearing on this question at all…its not relevant…nor are the planes wheels…other than they have to be able to spin freely as they normally would

the plane 100% will take off as normal…

if the plane is not moving relative to the air, it will not take off.

if the mechanism somehow (in whatever unimaginable way) prevents the plane from moving relative to the air, it will therefore not take off.

right or wrong?

Adam what causes lift in an airplane?

Simple terms…

the plane will be moving relative to the air…ie the plane will be thrusting thru the air…and when it reaches its critical air speed it will lift off as normal…

its just the conveyor that is moving…

now like I said before…if this is some magical conveyor that is all encompassing…meaning not only is it moving the conveyor belt BUT ALSO the air all around it in in opposite reaction to the thrust…then yes the plane will never lift off the ground…

however…if we had a plane that has more thrust than weight meaning it can move vertical if it desires…regardless of what lift its aerofoil provides…you would have to compensate with a magical air speed of whatever the drag would be to overcome the thrust of that plane…

simply…if you dont want that plane to move… you have to have some way to compensate for its very high thrust levels…and the little wheels on the conveyer are no where near enough to do that…

lift is created by the low pressure created by the aerofoil…due to one side of the wing being longer than the other… it forces the air to go faster over one section…

Let me get this straight… everyone else is saying the plane will not be moving relative to the ground…

And Adam is saying it will be moving relative to the ground?

but its really thrust thats the issue here…and its NON connection with the planes wheels

Right Bernoullis Principle…

So the low pressure zone is created by air flowing over and under the wing essentially…

So unless there is air moving, over the wing, the plan wont generate lift…

So if the plane isn’t moving, or there isn’t a giant fan blowing air over the wing, it wont gerenate lift…

Fair enough?

Bear with me Adam, this has nothing to do with wheels…

the plane will still be moving forward even if it had NO wings… due to the fact it is being powered by THRUST…

will the plane take off (flight) if it has 0 wind speed across the wing… NO

will this plane have wind speed across its wing as it is being thrust across the conveyor…100% yes… just as it normally would taking off from any tarmack runway…

simple experiment here.

Go to the dollar store, buy a bolsawood airplane with an eletastic band powered prop.

Build it, Now ind up the prop, put the plane on the ground and watch. it flys.

the prop provides forward movent, which in turn moves air over the wings which creats lift, the plane flies.

Now, take the same plain, wind it up, hold it in you hand, waste high, let the prop go so its spinning at max “thrust” then just let go of the plain.

Guess what happens? it falls, no lift is geverated by the prop, the only lift will be generated by the air passing over the wings as the plain falls.

The plane will not fly because it does not create enough lift, other than what the wind is applying to it at ground speed.

As i said before, if thrust was the sole issue to flight, we wouldnt have runways, we would just spin the turbine to full power and it would leap into the air. And the land speed cars would just fly off into space.

This is where you are taking on the rest…

People are saying that because the speed of the converyor matches the speed of the plane, that the plane remains stationary with no air speed across the wing.

You’re saying the plane will generate airspeed across the wing because of thrust exceeding the conveyor speed.

Right?

Hold on Lucky…