Physics Question

what?

GT

If people are calling you in regards to threads on SON, they need to find a hobby…

how clairvoyant of you Bob, you’re even more oblivious than you think you are.

Please, what is the discussion everyone is waiting for?

what the blood

clot

we smoke pot

hi im greg and ill be your locker for this evening threads.

keep it on topic.

or

dont keep it on topic and loose ANOTHER THREAD.

GT

i didn’t bother reading the other 10 pages.

the plane will not be able to get up and take off.

think relativity. although there is thrust to produce speed, the speed is relative to the belt. relative to the ground, the plane has a speed of about zero, so without any forward motion, there is no air flow around the plane and its wings, and therefore no potential for lift - it cannot fly relative to the ground. it will continue to “drive” on the conveyor.

maybe you should read the thread, and find out that you are indeed WRONG!

haha, I was just gonna say that…

god bless

Yes, the plan will take off. ADAMH hit it on the nose on page one.

Yes, the plane will take off, see ADAMH’s posts and Theo’s above mine. (Edit, theo’s post is on page 11, man this is a hot topic, and yes, i voted yes…)

Where’s the lift?

Kyle man, they are assuming that the length of the conveyer is long enough so that the plane would have enough room to take off as it normally needs on paved surface or whatever.

So basically, the conveyer will match the planes speed, but it wont affect the speed of the plane because the wheels are spinning freely, meaning that the conveyer have ABSOLUTELY no affect on the plane’s movement whatsoever. This means that all the plane has to do is what it normally does, use it’s thrust from the turbines to move forward as if it were on normal ground, it needs no more power and no less movement, it is as if it were on normal ground taking off.

Some people, including myself at first, were thinking that the plane would have to use more effort to go forward because of the conveyer moving the wheels in the other direction, this is infact because everyone is so focused on the issue of the wheels, and most people thought they were not free of the planes movement… I hope that sort of puts it into layman’s terms, some of those physics terms before scared me haha!

Another question, if the plane’s wheels are infact independant of the plane then when the plane is aligning itself for take off, moving slowly around the airfield; whats moving it, tiny amounts of thrust or something?

Exactly, Osad, the thrust is moving it.

I can’t believe this thread could generate so many posts when the answer was stated on page 1… and the fact that the poll shows that for all the talk of car stuff, most of it isn’t actually understood just copied…

of course the plane will take off, unless you chock the tires or put the brakes on…

i havent read every post…but basically if the plane is on the conveyor belt, and its moving the same speed as the plane but in the opposite direction its standing still.

I saw somebody mentioned the treadmill affect, its the same thing. A tread mill matches ones speed so ur standing in one place. The plane is standing in one place. Therefor the plane is not moving. If a plane cannot move, then a plane cannot generate lift. If it cant generate lift then it wont fly. My gf’s father has been in aviation since he was born. He owns an airport in burlington and has also come to the same conclusion. As well ive spoken to other pilots about this one also flys for cathay pacific, as this was my initial thought, and they too all came to the same conclusion that its a treadmill affect. The plane is not moving, so it cant generate lift under its wings.

a helicopter can take off from standing a still, a plane cant. One of the reasons a plane needs a runway is not only to have enough room for a plane to land, but enough room to take off.

One more quick story. In the summer i was at my gf’s cottage. They have a piper cub on floats. Her dad and i both weigh together about 380 pounds. There was no wind taking off one day, we almost didnt get up because, if there is no wind, and the plane cant get going fast enough it cant generate enough lift to get into the air. Fortunatly we hit a little but of wind and we were up. But if there was no wind, there would not have been enough lift to get us up, and thats moving, not the treadmill affect…

Did you realize that the previous persons that started their post with “I haven’t read the rest of this thread, or I haven’t read all the posts, etc…” were all wrong? Guess what? You’re wrong too. Treadmill effect doesn’t apply to an aircraft.

BINGO!!!

It does not matter how fast the treadmill goes, the plane will still move across it, to the end, and take off, because the plane’s thrust is entirely independent of the wheels. Its method of locomotion has nothing to do with the treadmill or the wheels thereon, so they do not effect the plane in any way. It will take off.

Rob man, the treadmill theory is correct, but only for humans. Since our legs are what move us forward or backward. The wheels of an airplane are completely on their own, and the plane doesnt move through the use of the wheels, they are simply there to ALLOW the plane to move forward and nothing else. Therefore, if the conveyer is moving at the same speed as the plane, it has no bearing on how fast the plane will go. If the conveyer is moving at 100km/h and the wheels are moving at 100km/h in the opposite direction, the plane will stand still because the wheels of the plane are free of the plane’s movement.

Get it?

Those guys you spoke may have alot of experience, but ask them to make a diagram of the situation and you’ll find they will all retract their statements.

I think you mean the plane won’t stay still, because the speed of the wheels is independent of the speed of the plane. It doesn’t matter how fast the conveyor belt, or the wheels move, because the plane is being thrust forward by the engines.