PITT employees (showtime,peterock,valkilmer, etc...)

whatcha think of the place… Pros/Cons

depends on the department.

overall. decent benefits
pay is a little low.
downtime when students are all settled in is a plus.
i liked most of the people that i worked with.
nice paid vacation time.

that about sums up my 7 years of working for academic advising and admissions.

what kind of job are you looking for in pitt?

My mom has been there for over 20yrs and my sisters works there. Decent benefits and depending on what your doing i guess decent pay.

peterock summed it up…

it all does depends on where you work & for what dept…

pay is low, but the benefits kinda make up for it.
free bus pass with ID, free access to facilities like the gym, pool, tennis, hoops, etc…
health benefits are good & really reasonable.
vacation is good & most places are lenient about taking time during the day for dr. appt, etc…

its a newly created position that i interviewed for in career services. in a nutshell i’d travel around town, baltimore/DC, philly/newyork/jersey, getting companies to work with pitt’s career services to interview more students.

Pay is usually lower than the “real” world, but it’s pretty much pre-determined before you get the job so squeezing the last 1-2K is usually what I tend to negotiate…vacation is great, when you start it’s 10 days…plus you get the whole week during christmas (usually like 10 days straight), which UPMC employees do NOT get…the health insurance is clutch (standard plan is ~60 bux a month including dental/eye *all inclusive and co-pays are for primary physicians only @ 5 bones)…403b (since we are non-profit) is 8% match until you are fully vested (3 years-I can explain more in person)…I’d do it as it’s secure and a good place to work and seems like a good opportunity for you to get good experience for a big non-profit company while you will have 37.5 working hours per week

i think you just have a man crush and want to see my sweet ass walking around pitt :hsugh:

I just quit my job there. Im still a student but had to quit working full time.

Pay is lower than normal, but benefits rock. If it is going to be more of a carreer for you make sure you invest your 8%. Actually invest it regardless.

if by your sweet ass you mean brutus then yes, otherwise :nono:

it’s in oakland… it sucks big time. don’t do it.

there’s a shit load of places to eat for lunch, close to banks and shit if you need to run errands for yourself during the day. good bus access if your down with public transportation.

what sucks is parking.

i have a lease in the semple lot… there are a bunch of open leases…

i’d say what sucks about oakland is:

the people on the sidewalk
dumbass students
amount of traffic
smell of garbage
garbage on the streets, in resturants, in stores, in the park, not in the trash cans
vomit on the streets and sidewalks
constant lifeflights (noise pollution)
constant sirens
the trash that walk the streets
people that park and hit cars
dumb assholes that stand in the sidewalks
lack of room to sit to eat anywhere between 12:00 and 1pm
idiots

and the list continues.

is there any good?

the company i work for blows tons of cash on their infastructure and support staff… :dunno:

that’s about it. oh, and some dudes like the skanky clueless pitt girls… but they just jack me the fuck off, especially when i try to get off an elevator and 25 idiots try to get on first… fuckin morons.

yeah i guess. living and working in the city take a lot of getting used to if youre used to the upper class suberbs. I personally dont mind it comming from a 3rd world country with 11 million people living in the capital.

it was kinda nice for me to spend my teenage years in the churchill burbs though it started to get boring. Now i live and work in the city its ghetto but it aint that bad. gives me something to chuckle at everyday.

upper class suburbs!!! … pete, i’m not some ignorant asshole!!! i mean come on… the city is great, squirrel hill is a great place to live, shady side is nice and all the surrounding areas, downtown is nice…

downtown is way way way nicer than oakland… people are nicer, the area is cleaner, the businesses are nicer… oakland is just beat on because of the university… it happens to a lot of big school towns… look at morgantown.

… they pumped 3 or 4 year old raw sewage out of the old beehive onto forbes ave for 1/2 a block then into a storm drain!!! LOL it smelled like shit for a month.

Depends on what part of downtown. When I worked on Ft. Duquesne Blvd. I was chased by crack whores, occasionally having them try to get in my car, yanking on the door. Some of the same panhandlers work both places. I’ll take Oakland any day of the week over 5th and Forbes area. Too many wig places down town as well. Guys trying to run the shell game. I saw it all during my time down there and when I have to go down for any training. But to be honest I seem to attract strange people. :ugh: I mean, how many times do the guys in the white van have to ask me if I want speakers?

my bad sonny, i didnt mean to make you sound that way. all i want to say is oakland has come a long way in the past 8 years. I know he corner by the O is alway pretty nasty. that will be bought up by pitt soon and cleaned up. but look at the new entrance to schenley park, the nice victorian buildings, the cathedral, pitt campus is alot better looking than Temple’s campus. theyre both located in the city.

i dont mind the colleged out south oakland ghetto. what i do mind is deep south oakland where i just aquired a little appartment building. Dan Marino field is straight dangerous. Just this past saturday i was working on my property doing some landscaping. heard 3 loud bangs and just wrote it off. 1 hour later i go out and the whole block is barricaded by cops. turns out 5 houses down from me a dude got wacked! WTF.

Police: Search Underway For ‘Person Of Interest’
Pittsburgh Police say the victim, 44-year-old Aaron Townsend, was found dead inside a house in the 3600 block of Frazier Street.

yikes!

it’s all good… they are asking like 1.4 mil for the O… we should buy it and sell 40’s. i’m not sure if pitt or UPMC will be buying it… but you would imagine one or the other…

philly is beyond a shithole :rofl: