place to have a mold made?

well, i have been making these gauge pods for focus guys and they have stirred quite an interest, and i cant take the time to make the number of them i could sell, and was thinking about getting a mold made so i could just pour plastic into it and mass produce them pretty quick to make some loot. anyone know where i could get an estimate or have an idea how much it would cost me?

pic for reference:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/focusinprogress/valvecoverandgauges010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/focusinprogress/valvecoverandgauges008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/focusinprogress/valvecoverandgauges006.jpg

nice piece

there a fiberglass body shop over in s buffalo. they make fiberglass street rod bodies. Maybe hit them up?? I can try and look up the info again. I applied for a job there liek 2 years ago

Wow, that is pretty nice.

first off, you can’t just “pour plastic” into a mold. If you want to make it out of plastic, you’re looking at injection molding. The shape is too complex for plastic vacuum forming(because of verying thicknesses and depths)

Your best bet, which may not be worth your time, is to make a 2 or 3 piece composite mold and sandwhich a compisite material (i.e, fiberglass) and clamp or vacuum bag until the epoxy cures.

search www.fiberglast.com if you want to see how to make a mold yourself.

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:5,topic:36205"”]

first off, you can’t just “pour plastic” into a mold. If you want to make it out of plastic, you’re looking at injection molding. The shape is too complex for plastic vacuum forming(because of verying thicknesses and depths)

Your best bet, which may not be worth your time, is to make a 2 or 3 piece composite mold and sandwhich a compisite material (i.e, fiberglass) and clamp or vacuum bag until the epoxy cures.

[/quote]

:wstupid:

http://www.fgci.com/howto/ht003fiberglass_mold.html

or you could make a rubber/urethane mold and vacuum bag the piece.

[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

An injection mold to make that part is probably going to be 70K give or take from just the pictures.

[/quote]

So, an injection mold can be made for only about $30,000.00.:gotme::biglaugh:

Unless you have the mold made in China but, I know someone that did that and now the Chinese company is making parts to compete with him because they mad a copy for themselves.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:8,topic:36205"”]

So, an injection mold can be made for only about $30,000.00.:gotme::biglaugh:

Unless you have the mold made in China but, I know someone that did that and now the Chinese company is making parts to compete with him because they mad a copy for themselves.

[/quote]

the mold will be more than 30K, there are “pulls” that will need to be incorporated (due to the features in the part), plus just the cost of the raw blank. I was pricing an aluminum mold as well, Steel would be probably over 100K for that mold.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:9,topic:36205"”]

the mold will be more than 30K, there are “pulls” that will need to be incorporated (due to the features in the part), plus just the cost of the raw blank. I was pricing an aluminum mold as well, Steel would be probably over 100K for that mold.

[/quote]

I would make it for $30,000.:slight_smile:

yeah, the expense of injection molding was a given and not recommended… something of that sort in the US will likely be around $35K - $40K. China, $15K

so who wants to learn me this vacuum molding thing? i would cut in some profit off of my first 100 sold or something

there is a lot of info about it on the site josh posted.

i have a vacuum pump i might even be willing to part with.

[quote=“focusinprogress,post:12,topic:36205"”]

so who wants to learn me this vacuum molding thing? i would cut in some profit off of my first 100 sold or something

[/quote]

you really think your going to sell 100?

whats wrong with just doing them out of fiberglass or CF?

[quote=“Viper966,post:14,topic:36205"”]

whats wrong with just doing them out of fiberglass or CF?

[/quote]

that’s what he’s talking about doing… vacuum molding is part of the process.

[quote=“Zer0DazE,post:13,topic:36205"”]

there is a lot of info about it on the site josh posted.

i have a vacuum pump i might even be willing to part with.

[/quote]

Is it Swedish?

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:15,topic:36205"”]

that’s what he’s talking about doing… vacuum molding is part of the process.

[/quote]

i thought he was still trying to do it in plastic… sorry

^ yes i can sell 100, i have already sold about 50 of them i made by hand putting in about 14hrs a peice over the last 2-3 years. they are really popular and i am one of maybe three people that make them to sell. if i could mass produce them im pretty sure i could sell 100 of them within 3 months time at $125-150 a peice. I also have made steering colums dual pods and a/c vent pods which are much easier that i charge $75 a peice for…so i think learning to make a mold would be helpful cause i could set one up each night and make some serious bank off these things

i would be willing to pay someone to help me make the mold/teach me about it in the process, im more of a learn by example type person. show me once and i can do it pretty much perfect after that.

Are you for hire? I need a gauge pod made for my 240…

[quote=“articzap,post:19,topic:36205"”]

Are you for hire? I need a gauge pod made for my 240…

[/quote]

well, as per forum rules i cannot say wether or not i am. but i do enjoy whipping up some fiberglass parts in exchange for a friendly loaded handshake if you know what i mean lol. PM me what your looking for and i will tell you what i can do for ya and whatnot.