Plane on a conveyor belt (small scale) JUST TOOK OFF !!!!!!

R=ρVD/μ

V=0 R=0

It won’t fly.

Dear God,

I realize that you have a lot on your plate lately, with terrorism, war, poverty, and Britney Spears, but could you do me one tiny favor and smite all of those that still don’t think the plane will take off? Thank you in advance for improving society.

Yours Truly,
sureshot007

You missed the whole point that the wheels don’t propel the plane. Fuck people are retarded.

its that the question doesnt ask how the plane is propelled, but rather just mentions speed. Reading too far into the question starts to bring in new things like that into question. Speed on a treadmill is determined by the contact between the wheels and the treadmill surface.

That is the only factor that should matter. If the wheels propel the plane or the engines make the wheels move, either way… speed is still the same, but controlled in a different way. The wheels move, the plane goes forward… and if you watched the Youtube I posted up, you’d see that a plane can match the speed of a treadmill and stay “stationary” in relation to the earth, while the wheels spin at the same velocity of the treadmill.

See last page for my perception arguement as well.

I am not calling you wrong, but just think a little more. I know the plane can take off, Im not arguing that. But, based on how someone reads the question, they also have an argument for why it doesn’t. It also matters which version of the question you read as well. Depending on how it’s worded makes the answer easy, like on Mythbusters. Or hard when it doesn’t ask it correctly and it could go either way based on perception.

:picard:

The better question is, If you reverse the direction of the conveyor belt, will the plane take off faster/ in less time/ distance.

DISCUSS!!

but the only way that the conveyor belts speed can EXACTLY match the wheels speed (via a speedometer mounted ON the plane) is if you simply turn on the treadmill and never fire up the plane

the only way you can fire up the plane and throttle up is if the MPH reading is done w/ the plane in relation to the ground UNDER / AROUND the treadmill … and the treadmill matches THAT speed in reverese

plane 50mph that direction ----->
<----- treadmill spinning 50mph that direction
wheels see a combined speed of 100mph, which obviously DOESNT match treadmill speed

Ok lets run with that for a second. If you say it doesn’t matter how its propelled lets examine the possibilities.

1. Not the wheels. It takes off since the wheel speed however modified by the treadmill doesn’t matter.

2. The wheels. Oh, wait, its not a plane. The plane reaches takeoff speed (V1), takes off and then falls from the air because its not a fucking plane.

:deadhorse:

Its cant take off there is an elephant in the way

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3873/elephantintheway1nk4.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4789/11692389661km5.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5043/ohdear21bg5.jpg

NO FUCKING SHIT. REALLY? Where the fuck did I say that?

All this time I thought I saw a driveshaft coming from the turbines going to the landing gear and transmitting power to the wheels.

A treadmill mathces the speed of the runner’s feet (the contacting object).

Mythbuster’s conveyor belt DID NOT match the speed of the contacting object (the airplane’s wheels). Thus it DID NOT act as a treadmill, but a conveyor belt of a constant speed.

As far as I know it would be physically imposible to instantaneously match the wheel speed of a plane (because it will always be speed of contacting surface in the oposite direction + any speed created by thrust (neglecting drag effects of bearing style and fluid properties of the lubricant used)).

HAHAHAHA. I just made an ass of myself in the lib because of these. :lol:

Could an elephant really stand on a frictionless ramp?

Would it fall?
Would it slide off?
Would it take off if it was on a conveyor?