Planning a snowboarding/skiing trip, Need your help

oh, I thought you meant you had a place for rent there. Even paying our way, I’d feel just a tad bit imposing if there were like 3 guys staying in an extra bedroom lol

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:16,topic:39247"”]

Im assuming that a flight is out of the question… Well im going up to Sunday River in December for only 2 days… Looks to be amazing with 8 peaks and such but the Maine scenery is like no other, so I would go just for that.

[/quote]

so when u calling me up to go as well! lol and did you see the for sale sign on my lawn

Found out yesterday that my boss is taking me to onsnow again this year. 4 days at stratton, travel/hotel/pass/some food/somebeer on the shop’s tab, riding all of next year’s product before its out. very nice.

VT has a lot of good skiing and so does NH which a lot of people don’t seem to realize. There are a ton of mountains within a close proximity to each other in NH, which makes for a ton of fun/variety for one vacation.

Since noone has really commented on it yet, Jay Peak is the closest thing to out west as you will get on the east coast. They get a major amount of snowfall each year. Average is 350+ inches a season over the past 10 years.

Tons of powder, killer tree skiing. Watch out as it’s VERY cold there compared to lots of other Vermont places.

It’s by FAR the best place for skiing/snowboarding on the East Coast if you’re not concerned with park features.

I must say though, that it is not a party resort, and don’t expect too much crazy nightlife. If bars and shit are important, do Killington. Good steeps, good terrain, and an incredible nightlife scene.

[quote=“Shockwave179,post:24,topic:39247"”]

VT has a lot of good skiing and so does NH which a lot of people don’t seem to realize. There are a ton of mountains within a close proximity to each other in NH, which makes for a ton of fun/variety for one vacation.

[/quote]

NH gets half the snow as VT due to geographic reasons, that’s why most people don’t consider NH.

The last time I went skiing in Vermont was about 15 years ago and I would never go back.
I never ski east of the Rockies because it is a waste of money.
I assume you want real skiing since you acknowledge that Holiday Valley is not a mountain so don’t waste your time and money going to New England either.
New England is great for skiing on ice in 10 degree weather.

If you want fresh pow and bluebird all day, “go west young man”.
I promise you won’t regret it.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:27,topic:39247"”]

New England is great for skiing on ice in 10 degree weather.

If you want fresh pow and bluebird all day, “go west young man”.
I promise you won’t regret it.

[/quote]

You’ve never skied Jay Peak.:rx3:

370 inches of snow last year, including a 60+ inch day in February. 370 inches is on par with lots of places out west, including most of Colorado. If you still don’t agree, I’ll let you come over and watch my Meathead Films and your opinion on east coast skiing will be forever altered.

I agree if you have the money, go west, as the terrain and weather is usually better, but there is legitimate skiing on the east coast if you know where to look and can’t afford to travel west.

PS- The best place out west for consistant snow and best chance for cheap lodging is Salt Lake City. VERY close to amazing skiing, and flights to SLC are very reasonable.

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:26,topic:39247"”]

NH gets half the snow as VT due to geographic reasons, that’s why most people don’t consider NH.

[/quote]

I know I’ve been to both plenty of times. Just saying a lot of people don’t even consider NH, because they don’t know/realize.

[quote=“Shockwave179,post:29,topic:39247"”]

I know I’ve been to both plenty of times. Just saying a lot of people don’t even consider NH, because they don’t know/realize.

[/quote]

There’s only 3 reasons I’d consider going to NH over VT…

1- Cannon on a powder day
2- Mt Washington for Tuckermans Ravine in late April-Early May
3- Loon Mtn for park.

VT just tends to be better overall.

[quote=“DrImodium,post:6,topic:39247"”]

A lot of my friends who went to college in Vermont are telling me to go to Jay Peak and to stay at a place called Grampa Grunts. Any experience with either? None of us are big park riders if that helps limit places.

[/quote]

nice mnt
lots of good snow
slowest lifts on the planet. it would be faster to walk up the fucking hill

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:28,topic:39247"”]

You’ve never skied Jay Peak.:rx3:

370 inches of snow last year, including a 60+ inch day in February. 370 inches is on par with lots of places out west, including most of Colorado. If you still don’t agree, I’ll let you come over and watch my Meathead Films and your opinion on east coast skiing will be forever altered.

I agree if you have the money, go west, as the terrain and weather is usually better, but there is legitimate skiing on the east coast if you know where to look and can’t afford to travel west.

PS- The best place out west for consistant snow and best chance for cheap lodging is Salt Lake City. VERY close to amazing skiing, and flights to SLC are very reasonable.

[/quote]

werd.
jay gets a metic ass ton of snow

Zero, you ever been to Smugglers Notch? By far the slowest ever. The Madonna lift is painful. Old double that runs from the base to the peak.

Some good terrain at Smuggs though, and access to some good east coast backcountry if you know where you’re going.

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:32,topic:39247"”]

Zero, you ever been to Smugglers Notch? By far the slowest ever. The Madonna lift is painful. Old double that runs from the base to the peak.

Some good terrain at Smuggs though, and access to some good east coast backcountry if you know where you’re going.

[/quote]

never been, but thought about it for a long weekend this year.
i have heard stories about that lift, but didn’t there could be anything slower than the lift i was on at jay. lol

Imagine a nearly 2000’ vertical double. It’s a good 15 minute lift ride, but the nice thing is Smuggs is relatively quiet and not crowded at all.

They get around 300 inches annually too. Good place to check out. It has a reputation as a “family mountain” but it has some good terrain to offer for sure.

fucking smugglers notch was a ski lift nightmare lol. I really liked the mountain though, the terrain is more advanced and theres some opportunity to have a ton of fun with it.

anyone know of cheap places to stay near jays peak?