planning trip to NYC

what should i expect? i wanna stay near JFK because stayin in manhattan is INSANE $$$ . i’m a lil worried thou because obviously i dont know the homewoods and hill districts of NYC. also the whole subway thing is foreign to me since im from pittsburgh. i’m leary of it. But at the same time i dont wanna get raped by taxi fares.

do taxis run late? one of my days includes an afternoon game at shea then to yankee for the night cap… i wanna be able to get back to my hotel from the bronx at night.

Carry a small map. not something too big that says HI IM NEW COME ROB ME.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/subway/howto_sub.htm

i decide to fly into JFK but stay near le guardia… the vouchers i’m using are for delta and there are no direct flights from pitt to LGA but they have them to JFK. LGA is right near shea too.

pm’d

Gotta hit Times Square in the pm

Some resturants to go see…

Lombardis Pizza http://www.firstpizza.com/
Its excellent, a Food Channel favoriate.

Also if you are going with a lot of people and want some great Italian food, check out Carmines in Times Square on Broadway. Its family style eating just to warn you, everything comes on a turkey platter!

The best cheesecake period, check out Veneros.

Oh and Taxis run 24/7

Subway can get a little confusing, just pick up a subway map and plan out your route before you walk down to the station, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Also… its not that NYC is dangerous, my uncle has lived there for 20+ years and I have been up there hundreds of times… just make sure you put your cash in your front pockets not your rear… also when on the subway, make sure you watch out for the “business” looking people more so than the bums, they are the pick pockets!

Enjoy!

Let me know how it goes and how expensive things are. My wife and I were planning on going to NYC this summer, but figured it would not be worth the money. We had wanted to stay in Manhattan but the hotels were insanely expensive so we dropped the idea. If staying out near the airport and taking public transportation works out for you, let me know.

Try looking for a bed and breakfast. My wife and I were in Manhattan a couple years ago and found one for like $130 or $140 per night. (weekdays) Not the most modern place but it even had a second floor loft and rooftop balcony. That was cool. About 3 block east of central park.

We went that route since it was a lot cheaper than a hotel.

if you wanna stay in manhatten , a family member of ours is a real estate agent who owns alot of buildings in manhatten and will help you out (cheaper then a hotel) the building you would stay in is off of lexington and 5th i think it is…

The one rule I was told when I traveled to Times Square is “Don’t look up”. I found out quickly why not to do this when we got off the subway. People will look at you in a different way when you “look up” at the lights. Everyone is in a hurry there, 24/7.

You can do NYC for cheap… I have been going up there for the past 15 years or so… I however have a place to stay as my uncle lives right in Manhattan. If you can find a reasonable hotel I would go for it, its defiantly an experience. You can eat wonderful and cheap food in little Italy, etc… you can also find discount tickets to Broadway shows, etc… just plan it out 1st. Also remember public transportation can get REALLY expensive… sometimes its better to spend a little more on a hotel right in the city rather than using public transportation the whole time.

heres my plan:
april 29-may 2

fly into jfk cause i can get a direct flight there but stay near leguardia because its right by shea stadium.

april 29th - arrive, check in, etc… pirates vs mets at 7:10 go to game. go back to hotel

april 30th - pirates vs mets 1:10… go back to hotel eat some diner and head over to the bronx for the yankees vs tigers @ 7:05 and catch a cab home

may 1- take the subway into manhattan and do the whole NYC thing… see the sights, statue of liberty, central park, madison sq garden, etc etc…

may2 do a lil somthing and come home.

How much is the hotel per night? And do you know how far out the subway goes? Like can you get to the subway from your hotel?

hotel is like a clarion hotel. its about $140 per night. i have to study the subway system but the hotel is very close to shea so i’m thinkin there would be a subway there.

Subway shouldn’t be a problem. They are all over the place. I was on crutches last time and was able to catch one within a couple blocks.

what should i expect?

To get mugged.

i could probably get you a better hotel for the same price if not lower ! pm me the dates and location
check your PM’s dont forget i work for Marriott

I usually try to stay away from the airports… those neighborhoods like far rockaways…by jfk is pretty ghetto…

I stay in brooklyn with my family the nice side like park place.

If you have the cash definately go to Peter Luger’s steakhouse in brooklyn…6 month old dry age ribeye’s are the shit.

I always try to stay away from times square cause i hate big flocks of tourists but if you are visiting i guess its a destination. I just saw the lion king this weekend on broadway… it was actually not as gay as i thought it would be… slept through about 1/2 of the damn show.

shopping for knock offs in chinatown on canal st.

check out the statue of liberty

look at ground zero

then get drunk at night.