Going to NYC

I am planning a trip to goto NYC sometime in December, so I wanna start doing my homework.

Has anyone taken trips there? I’m looking into driving out early Saturday, spend the day, then come back Sunday.

I want to get a hotel in Jersey somewhere. A) To not have to worry about parking in NYC and B)So my ride don’t get jacked.

I’ve heard some horror stories about NYC. I’m gonna surprise my woman and take her to Tiffany’s on 5th and 57th. Should I stay strapped? (This is a semi-joke)

What is the subway situation like? I am trying to figure out what hotel/area I’ll be coming from, and if I should cab it or jump in a subway somewhere.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

You’re mildly retarded.

Drive to Philly and take the train in. parking is better. You don’t want to drive in to NYC or Newark. The train from Philly to NYC is about an hour and it doesn’t cost that much. Plus it is a nice relaxing ride and you can sight see a little on your way into the city instead of worrying about driving and knowing where you are going. Take a lot of money cause every thing is expensive. A bottle of beer is $12.00 in a decent bar. Get a hotel in Greenich Village. it is a good place to be right around NYU.

Don’t stay in new jersey. You’ll waste a couple hours getting in and out of the city. Put your car in a parking garage over night, it’s no big deal.

My uncle has lived in Manhattan for the past 15-20 years and I can say its a great city. There is a ton to do and everything is larger than life. I have been going there for as long as I can remember to visit him, also my girlfriend and I will go when he is out of town on occasion. If your going to Tiffany’s or Bloomingdale’s be prepared to spend $$$$$$.

I personally feel the city is a safe place… of course you have your neighborhoods like everywhere else. I feel safe walking down the road at 2-3am by myself, there are police everywhere. I also wouldn’t worry about your ride getting stolen, if you get a decent hotel in the city, they will have a parking garage. Staying in NJ would be ok I guess, but I feel you really cannot take full advantage of the city night life. I guess it all depends on what kind of budget you are going on. Sure you are going to spend more on a hotel in the city… but at the same time, the subway and cab fees have gone up a lot, that all adds up. Your better off defiantly staying in the city, it takes hours to get in and out of the city and its $$ for a cab, plus tolls, etc…

Also… if possible… leave Friday… stay the extra day, you really cannot do much in that time period, if you can’t thats fine… but you will appreciate the extra day in the city.

Yeah I’m thinking cab fees will be $$$ and I know that everything there is expensive, which is why I’m limiting the days I’m there.

Thanks, this helps out a lot. I know Tiffany’s is $$$ but I’ll be on the lower end of their spectrum haha. I’m gonna try and make it Friday night, but I gotta work til 4:00 so it’s gonna be tough to drive out. We’ll see about that. I was unaware about the parkign garages and such, I may end up just doing it that way. I haven’t been out to NYC since I was like 8.

be specific what you wanna do on what days. me and my ex wanted to kill eachother by the end of the days while we were in NYC. a few blocks on a map can be a LONG WAY! i hated the cab ride from the airport… on the way back the hotel called a car service and it was teh same price and we were in a town car with a english speaking driver instead of a dirty crown vic with bin laden at the wheel. MAKE SURE YOUR GIRL DOESNT DRAG HER FEET WHEN SHE WALKS… a whole day of that in NYC can make you lose it. the subway system looks more comlicated than it is, dont sweat it… and if your girl wants to get close to the edge…let her…bitches wont listen even when you mean well. infact if she’s dumb enough to fall off the subway platform you are ahead of the game!

lastly… if you want to got see the firehouse from ghostbusters…map it out ahead of time. tom tom failed miserably walking through NYC.

LOL at falling off the subway platform. Nah she can move her feet so we should be good there. I wanna see Yankee Stadium (maybe) and MSG, Central Park (Tiffany’s is right on the corner of CP).

I’ll have to find out about that car service you mention. NYC cabs are a little intimdating for me. But then again I was a little weirded out when I saw how big Philly was… I’m sure once i get there it’ll be all good.

Cutty is right by saying make sure you plan ahead. There are 2 restaurants that I would recommend. One is Carmines, its on Broadway in times square, its an Italian restaurant, but its family style eating, so I dunno if that would be good for you and your girl! If you order a plate of spaghetti, you will get it on a turkey platter!

The other place I can say is great for lunch is Lombardis pizza, I seen it on the food channel and went… it was well worth it! Its in little Italy. Its supposly americas first pizza shop opened in 1905, brick oven pizza.

Its going to be rough if you are leaving at 4… as it takes like 6 hours from where I live, might be a little more for you. Thats a tough call… because about time you get there, park, unload the car, check in, etc… its going to be midnight almost. So dinners out… you could always go out and get wasted… but if thats not your idea of a good time, then I would just leave really early Friday night… like 3am or something.

Almost forgot to tell you, a really nice, and extremely good but expensive Italian restaurant is Il Cortile. If your in to the whole mafia ordeal, its a great place to eat, John Gottis office was 2 blocks away, the FBI has listened in on that place more than once! Also the cast of the Sopranos frequent it. You can check out their website… the food is excellent there!

Yea that is why I’m kicking it off here in October, I wanna have as few surprises as possible. I did hear about Lombardi’s before and I would like to go there.

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming youns!

im sure there are a ton of car services. just check at the hotel. i actually stayed by shea (flushing nY) it was basically like a chinatown… i thought it would be a bad idea when i saw where it was but it turned out ok. i wouldnt recommend it thou. yankee stadium is a disappoinment from the outside… they ruined it when it was renovated in 70’s.

now the subway isnt confusing but it can be miserable to ride… you are gaurenteed atleast 3-4 smelly bastards. NYC can be a bit of a culture shock for a pittsburgher… with exception of carnegie mellon… Pittsburgh is made up of blacks and white… there are TONS of mexicans in NY. If i went again. i’d stay as close to times square as possible and ride the subway to places like CP, battery park, etc… commin in on the subway from the boroughs is tough.

just to get a perspective id say going from downtown to uptown is like starting at point state park and walking to edgewood or swisvale.

There is a bus that takes you from China town in DC to China town in NYC for $1. :slight_smile: lol if you happen to know anyone in the DC area. I always love going to Canal street on a Saturday morning. Lots of tourists looking for cheap purses, watches and everything else. It’s so much fun! A nice knock-off purse for $30! Have fun! I’m heading up soon!

Fake Purses = Lame

Nah no fake purses, the wife isn’t into those things, just the jewelry.

:rofl:

Good… that means she has class! My girlfriend wouldn’t be caught dead carrying one of those garbage purses. 2 years ago, my mom bought a fake loui, my dad was at my uncles apt relaxing, she came home and showed him. He said forget about it… he made her bring it back to PA and give it to a friend and went out that night and bought her a real one. If you wanna wear baller shit… you gotta pay for it… if you don’t you just look like an ass in the end.

Angelo’s Pizza - Right next door to the Letterman Show studio doors. Awesome.

Parts of that city smell like piss badly. I’ll be honest, NYC is cool for 2-3 days, anymore than that and I think I’d be bored.

How could you get bored? I mean I kind of agree… its like Vegas… if your not loaded with cash, you can only go and have a good time for like 3 days, lol

Yeah, between not being 21, not having a lot of money, and not skateboarding much anymore (there are some legendary spots there), 3 days would probably be the limit for me.

Yup… u would hate Vegas, lol Until you turn 21 that is.