Mini vacation spots within 5hrs of here?

Im trying to figure out where to go for a night with my girlfriend. Would like to go to nyc, but dont want to spend a ton for one night stay, and driving around there would suck.

Thought about renting a cabin at allhegany, then we wouldnt need to kennel our dog. But we’re ok with doing that for one night if we went somewhere without him.

Also thought about clifton hill.

Plan to drive or amtrak
Just looking for ideas.

Thx

I dont know how it is in the fall, but Put-In-Bay, Ohio is awesome.

Toronto, Poconos, Lake George, Lake placid, Finger lake wine tours

We flew in there on the way to Indy for the MotoGP race in my buddies Cessna. Deff a cool spot during summer, tons of stuff going on and lots of slampigs.

Clifton Hill just seems like a place that you never go back to once you are over 19 years old.

Toronto is pretty solid. Not sure what you are looking to spend but a nice room there is going to cost a few bucks.

Adirondacks? Lack George?

Chic-fil-a

Turningstone can be fun, for a night.

A lot of people like Niagara on the Lake. The wife and I did an overnight there for our anniversary and it’s definitely not my thing.

If you haven’t ruled out NYC I’ve been really lucky booking hotels with priceline name your price tool, paid about 175 a night for 4 star. Plane tix were under 300 for two people round trip last time i was there, upgraded to first class for just under $500 total two people round trip.

During the off-season, dead. During the on-season, awesome.

I’ll vote for Pittsburgh. Great city. When we were there last, we stayed at the William Penn Omni downtown. Gorgeous place, but reasonably priced.

Lots of good restaurants within walking distance, with the best one being Meat N Potatoes. Just sit at the bar, order a bunch of small plates, and let the bartenders be creative.
If you’re looking for a party spot with a bunch of bars, hit Southside.

National Aviary is a really cool visit if you’re into birds at all.

Go to the church where Dogma was filmed?

If you are in high school.

For the trip, Pittsburg if you want a city feel and stuff to check out. Great place and as long as you don’t book on a weekend with a bunch of sport events, hotels are pretty cheap. Also, there is cabins you can rent in Penn around the Poconos for less than $200 for the weekend that are huge and secluded if you want to get away.

My week off is coming up in a couple weeks, it was basically taken so i dont lose my week since it doesnt carry over to next year. xmass is coming up as well, so id like to do it on a budget. Really want to kinda just site see, and i love old architecture.

I want to see nyc, want to drive there but worried about once being there the traffic driving me crazy, id like to drive there, park and just explore, i suppose that goes for wherever we decide to go to.

Because taking Amtrak would be a cool experience but 2 tickets would be what like $250, and driving would be like not even $100.

Toronto?

• Updated - - -

Do not drive in Manhattan and if you’re staying there its going to be expensive to park you car overnight.

If youre set on driving to NYC stay in jersey and take the train in and out each day. Do not try parking in Manhattan, pure nightmare.

Or if you want to see drunk bride’s mother walking around with a big blowup dong

Still, I like the place. Going to tow the boat next year, stay some place in Sandusky for a few days, and overnight at one of the transient docks at Put In Bay. Explore the other islands the rest of our stay.

Its going to be for 1 night stay, so where we decide to go would be trying to get there early in the day. Go explore and eat, then stay in room for bed. Wake up do it again but leave maybe mid afternoon.

Go for it then don’t listen to everyone else :tup:

If you are doing a day trip you can get lucky parking in a borough, WhitePlains, NJ, etc. and taking the 30 min train. Just make sure you aren’t in a spot on a street cleaning day or expect a ticket.

Haha. Im only doing a one night stay because next march will be a true entire week vacation. This is just to at least do something with budget in mind.

All input and ideas are appreciated