NYC for 48 hours, first timer, what to do?

I’ve only been to NYC once as a young child, my fiance has never been. Since we are moving to Texas this year, I figured we should take the opportunity to go over a weekend before christmas.

What are some good things to see in such a short time? Where should we stay for less than $250/night? What area to stay in?

I have two friends who say to stay in Hoboken, NJ and park the car at the hotel and take public transportation into the city. I can hotwire a 4 star room in hoboken for $130 per night, and that is about 50 percent off of the rack rate. Decent idea?

I spent a while on the PATH website that seems very confusing, but google maps seems to do a very good job of directions on public transportation. Neither one of us has ever been on public transportation, lol.

She wants to see the big christmas tree, do the ice skating thing, and other sights. I’d like to do all that, and find a nice deli to get a sandwich.

Thanks…

The android maps app does a very good job with NYC public transport

It’s almost idiot proof

If your going to the 9/11 memorial you need to get tickets online in advance btw

Christmas time? No Brainer. Macy’s windows (34th street… I’m blanking on the cross street) and Rockefeller Center for the tree. Times Square is cool to walk through if you never have. Definitely head downtown and hit up the 911 memorial. Once you’re done there head to south Street seaport and walk around there. From there you can head up into the village (Greenwich village) and there are tons of bars and restaurants and interesting shops up that way.

I stayed at the Belvedere once and that place is pretty nice. I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel in summer once and that place is very nice too. If my shitty memory is correct, it is right across from a private park and surrounded by VERY VERY nice buildings. It is off Lexington Ave, pretty far down. The Belvedere is centerally located to all the major attractions-you can walk to Times Square. I remember doing that a bunch. It’s either on 48th or 47th street.

FAO Schwarz and the Ferrari Store is 5 block south on Park Ave

I was just there looking at colleges. stayed at Holiday inn express (north Bergen,NJ) lincoln tunnell. Wasnt a real fancy place but reasonable,clean, free parking & breakfast (means alot in ny), used public transport mostly as it costs 30 bucks a day to park in the city,

One stay we did that double decker bus tour. was well worth it you could get on/off as you like and stopped at all the attractions. if you missed a bus another would come in 10 mins. sightsee ny or something like that

If it were me… I would stay in the city.

china town and the empire state building get my two votes really the most enjoyable and i would suggest empire state building at night even though its freezing

rockefeller s a given of course if you really have never been

only thing i havent really done in the city is go to the new yankees stadium

Go to Katz Deli and get a Pastrami sandwich.

Thank me later.

x2 and you def have to hit up chinatown/little italy since they are small enough to knock out in a couple hours and right off the train stop

Look for a big Hawaiian dude in blue shorts and kick him in the junk

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Oh and hit up the Halal guys - http://53rdand6th.com/

This is a must

Take her for a nice dinner at blue fin at times square

Yo. Did you go yet?

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Also : does anyone know JustinH personally? Need a vouch if possible. If you know me personally, that would be even better.