Playstation 3 Thread

Yup. its up and beyond!!!

i woudln’t buy one yet man… they are known to have power issues and overheating issues just like the xbox… these machines run hot and if you’re an idiot, you can easily burn one up.

1. they don’t have upscaling AT ALL… retarded… if you play a DVD it’s in 480 PERIOD… if you put ina 720 game, its’ s720 no upscaling… the blu-ray is ok, but what happens if it becomes obsolete? Also, i read a review (by someone i actually trust) that threw a ton of files at the ps3 in the sd card reader and coudln’t get over 1/2 of them to work… you can throw any file type at the xbox and it’ll do something with it.

the whole controller thing sucks… i heard the graphics are nice and some people claim some things (like the glass breaking in some shooting game) is ‘better’ than xbox… but who knows, that’s why i was asking. the whole price is just too much… you can get a full xbox premium package AND hd dvd player for less than the ps3.

the xbox is coming out wtih a revision2 model… it’s going to have a true hdmi out (which is the only thing it’s missing from the current model)… the hd dvd add on’s are dropping in price (under 200) and it does all upscaling, games and movies… I’ve always been a playstation fan, but in the past years have seen the light with the xbox…

proprietary games are soon a thing of the past… the latest hype is that the ps3 is losing the final fantasy series… who knows what is going to be next.

out of all the hd movie systems, 650,000 americans have them, some 40,000 have players, 300,000 have blue ray and 310,000 have hd dvd add-on drives… so the high-def market is going to be scary in the next year or so.

i hear you…i’m in no rush.
& i’m not a hardcore gamer that plays like 4-5hrs a day.
i probably play that a week or less.

as far as upscaling that is pretty stupid, but i have a upscaling DVD player now so no biggie it would stay on duty & the PS3 would just be games & blueray.

the thing that i think Ps3 has over xbox is that it is an internal blueray reader…meaning that developers have the ability to program with pretty much no limitation due to the size of the blueray. from what i read there are only a few games that are close to meeting the ceiling of the DVD size storage. but just think 3-4yrs from now.
since xbox is just a DVD reader & the HD ad-on is player only…they pigeon holed themselves to DVD size games.

yes there is a chance that they may not develop games that flow over the normal DVD size…BUT PS3 gives them that flexability & option to explore developing games that start to unilize that space.

imagine a GTA game developed on a media bigger then a DVD…it would put san-andreas to shame.

like i said it may never be an issue but from articles i read…developers have show intrested in testing waters of larger games on the blueray discs.

i’m not arguing with you or saying one is ‘better’ or worse… but read around…a guy in europe developed a quad layered DVD that has the same DVD movie on the disk in data form, dvd format, hd-dvd format and blu-ray format… all on one disk!

i think the gaming medium is beyond the capacities of the discs they use… hell a dual layered hd-dvd can fit on a single disc, but when ripped to a file format takes up to 15GB! the compression is what is the big player when it all boils down.

the decision to not put an upscaling chip in the ps3 is enough for me to wonder wtf they were thinking… if the price drops a few $$ i’ll buy one just to have it and check it out… no doubt.

Well, I use a friends, I didn’t pick up one for myself.

However, playing on a 1080i television through HDMI cables, even if NFS Carbon is only 720p, is fucking nuts. This is the one my friend has.

We took it to a friends house, and played on an older 480 40-something" TV, and it was just awful. Pretty skewed lines, kind of looked like a PS2. I wouldn’t recommend it without an HDTV.

I’m not a really big game fan, and I think I’ve only played the 360 once or twice, so I can’t really compare, but I’ve had a ton of fun playing PS3.

Also, about the issues - yea, there has been some issues with the PS3, so my friend opted for the extra 2-year warranty through Best Buy, just in case.

do any of your PS3 owners also have a PSP?

what are the capabilities between the two…
wifi?
can’t you download stuff from sony on the PS3 web & dump it on your PSP?

i had heard they might do some crazy stuff with the fuctionality of the PSP in conjunction with the PSP.

has anyone played with the 2 together?

lol

Warner Home Video’s press conference concerning the Total Hi Def disc that has HD DVD and Blu-ray all on one disc is currently ongoing, and it stated that the discs are able to contain dual layers of both HD DVD and Blu-ray on one disc. The first Total Hi Def releases will hit in the second half of this year, but no specific titles have yet been announced.

thats cool…

i thought they both would survive.

if PSP movies can survive then 2 versions of HD can

check it out… that european company i was talking about:

Ritek is disclosing behind closed doors at CES its own achievements in multi-layer HD optical media. Ritek claims to not only have been able to produce a three-layer and four-layer HD optical discs, but to have successfully designed HD media with a full 10 layers. The company says that its multi-layer process can be applied to both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats.

At base specifications, 10 layers on an HD DVD would yield 150GB, assuming 15GB per layer. For Blu-ray, the total over 10 layers jumps to 250GB, assuming the base 25GB per layer.

While those numbers do sound impressive, Ritek officials point out that the real barrier to this advancement is the lack of reader and writer laser diode technology to support the additional eight layers above the current standard.
[/QUOTE]

Full Story: dailytech.com

mods, from post #17 down be transfered to the “playstation 3” thread?

:rofl:

wtf? your a dickhead :rofl:

what happened to the orginal playstation 3 thread that had like over 200 posts in it? thats where the dispute about it should have been

why am i a dickhead,u telling us what to do! f u!guess u need time off again!:asshole

haha… for real, i’m the one that split it up for you… bitch ass

:smiley:

Hey, did anyone else wire in an LED in the controller? I figured since there are NO god damn games for this thing that I would get some sort of use out of it. It looks pretty sweet actually. I wired in a red one under the PS button so now when the controler is on it is lit up red intsead of nothing. I wish Sony would have done this in the first place, but like I said, I got to finally do something with it.

i heard of people doing that. its pretty cool but i dont mind it.
just a little more strain on the battery life

i really want a ps3 but cant think of a reasonble way to make me think its worth 499.99

Especially since there are NO games. You know it’s bad if you start taking it apart because you are bored.

Seriously though, if you are thinking about getting one I would wait for some decent games to come out, Lair, Devil May Cry 4, MGS, and a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Hopefully by then the price will drop too.

sony is looking for a price drop… ( around like $50 i think)

i cant wait for MGS4, Resident evil 5, gran turismo 5, and indiana jones :slight_smile: