Points Reduction Class - where to go?

Where is a good place to go for a points reduction class in Buffalo? Anyone have the hookup?

i think carubba collision does a class on weekends. i took it a few years back.

i heard if you have triple digits points you can’t take the class :gotme:

Shut your mouth - I don’t have triple digits…yet…

There was a sponsor back on ubrf that did point classes but I can’t remember the name. I bet someone will.

That was Stevens driving school, had a friend that used to work there.

^ http://www.stevensdrivingschool.com/

Yep, that was the one. I remember the craptastic site.

The guy seemed pretty cool from the few posts he made.

you cannot reduce points by taking a class… all it does is increase the number you’re allowed to get before they suspend you. you can take the class to get a reduction on insurance.

I didn’t think that was how it worked but you’re right.

Q. After I complete the PIRP course, how do I receive the point reduction?

A. The PIRP sponsor will notify the DMV within ten weeks after you complete the course. A notice will then be entered on your driving record, and the DMV computer will automatically reduce your active point total by up to four points. Important: Completion of a course under the “Point & Insurance Reduction Program” does not remove, delete, subtract, or erase any violation, conviction, or notice of original number of points from your driving record. Even after you complete the course, most violations, conviction and points assessed will continue to show on your driving record for up to four years. Violations and convictions involving drugs or alcohol will remain on your driving record for ten years. “Point reduction” means the DMV will not count up to four points on your driving record toward license revocation or suspension.

Source:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c32a.htm

In the OP’s case I think he’s fine since I believe he’s just trying to avoid losing his license.

:snky:

Where’s your basis for this? It removes up to 4 points and sometimes 15% on insurance. IIRC it’s 11 points before you lose your license.

His basis could be the quoted section of the DMV website located 2 posts above yours.

:picard:

Holy fucking picard. It’s not like this is a 4 page thread and the answer was buried.

:picard:

i got a traffic violation worth 2pts or something silly, they told me to plead not guilty and take the class… so they lied? wat? lol…

they also told me that i could choose to just plead guilty and then take the class at a later time to get the pts taken off

they lied.

what a stupid whore, she also signed me up for class at ecc north instead of south :banghead:

A. The PIRP sponsor will notify the DMV within ten weeks after you complete the course. A notice will then be entered on your driving record, and the DMV computer will automatically reduce your active point total by up to four points.

Called my driver’s ed instructor, he said it reduces it by 4 points if you have that many on your license. It’s just fine print so the DMV can still send you driver assessment penalty fines. You effectively remove 4 points from your license.

he’s an idiot.

it’s a TARP!!! they obviously won’t get as much business if they tell you the truth, so they bury it in a confusing answer and lie over the phone. Even the DMV’s quote is a little confusing to help the schools out since the DMV does want more educated drivers…

read the DMV quote again, read it carefully.

it could be said that by giving you the ability to get 4 more points, they are effectively removing “active” points. what’s not happening is that you have 6 points, take the class, and when the DMV runs your record it’s down to two. It will say 6 and note that you took the class.

The point is, they are not going to remove anything from your driving record, so that they can hold it against you later on. However, if you get too many points, they will allow you to raise the limit by 4 for taking the class.