possible free truck, question on NYS inspection (rust)...

Truck is an 89 C1500. Nothing special. PO’s took care of it and can’t stomach sending it to the yard if it could be resurrected. Car has been used as a farm truck, then parked for about a year.

However, the body is pretty rusted, floorboard is good, but various places, radiator mount, fenders, ect, are soft and crumbly. The frame is solid, though. Pretty much I’m thinking if I can get it started I’m going to drive it to see what it needs to pass inspection (obviously, if it’s lots, then I’d help them drive it to the junk yard).

Anyway, what is the likely hood for passing inspection with this type of rust? Online searches of NYS rules specifically state the chassis and suspension pick up points, but don’t mention things like fenders and other areas. If unlikely is the case then I’d probably not even bother to try to get it running.

it depends on who does the inspection.

X2. AFAIK, only frame and suspension mounting points really matter. I always see those old Chevy/GMC trucks on the road looking like they’re about to snap in half. Fenders, rockers, etc don’t matter in this state. My old Accord had rot in the frame/unibody and passed inspection at a few legit shops somehow, until the gas tank straps weren’t attached to anything solid, and I retired it.

• Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points

Exterior body rust doesn’t matter,it would be nice if they did though so we didn’t have to look at it.

Cool, thanks for the answers.