possible new Dyno in the area

Just getting a feel for how many people and how often people would like to use a dyno in the pittsburgh. I am thinking of opening a motorsports garage as a hobby and would buy a dyno that would also be able to do AWD cars. any one interested?

eh there expensive… and being at where you live people would prolly jsut go to hybrid… no offense

Here is some information for you -

In NASA road racing, many class rules are built around hp and weight. This greatly simplifies policing. Impound after races often involves a mobile dyno and scales plus some visual checks.

Prior to the start of each season, we are required to show up at the first event with dyno printouts proving our power levels. These pulls must be done according to our respective series rulebooks but the key is that they must be done on a DynoJet 248.

I used to use Stropes for my pre-season pulls but they went out of business. My dad found a place in Youngwood that has a DynoJet 248 and this is where he and I (and many others) will end up going for our pre-season dyno pulls because we HAVE to do this.

NASA has started to figure out that these power limits make racing cheaper for the drivers, easier to police for the officials and easier to level the field for the competitors (I’m not being beat by someone outspending me - if I am getting beat, I am being outdriven). More and more series are adopting the power limits and this will make dyno operators more busy as a result. I think the new ST/ST2 classes in 2007 will increase the need for dynos around the country.

Also, there is a guy out of Medina, OH (Backstreet Performance, I think) that has been our impound dyno since he seems to be one of the few people that has a mobile DynoJet. I have to believe that NASA would be open to a second option to keep it cost-competitive. This guys shows up to OH/IN Region and select Midwest races.

NASA Northeast is just getting started in racing. I’ll bet that they don’t even have a dyno for their races yet.

If you are serious about this, one option would be to hook up with Jay at Domination Chassis.

In order for a dyno to make sense ($40k or so I think), you already have to know where a revenue stream will be coming from unless you have the money to cover the cost.

wow, so they are requiring that?? thats very interesting.

As a competitor, it’s excellent. I know I’m not being beat by $$$ on the track. There are other amateur series where there are all kinds of loopholes and with the right amount of money, you can get a special-built engine within the letter of the rules that is unbeatable unless you have one too (I know of one guy that paid $40k for a “special” LS1 engine). My engine is a stock 110,000 miler and makes the power I need for the series so it’s all good.

If you go here:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

and check the rules sets for Camaro-Mustang Challenge, American Iron, and Super Touring you will see the dyno procedures in the rules. I know that other series have these rules, too, but I have never looked to see who else has to run within power limits.

I thought about getting one as well, looking at like $28,000 with the dynojet. Once I get a real job i am prob going to pick one up to make a little side money…

awd dynos are much more $

^^Baller…we know where u get your money joe…sniff sniff :wink:

I didn’t find any care packages in my swap I bought! I was cheated!?!?! :smiley: rofl

Yeah, that would be awesome to have the mobile AWD dynojet. You could recoup costs in about 5 years?

AWD dyno’s are around $70,000. Of you can go with the 2wd dyno and have the AWD option added. for less money. Not necessarily worried about recouping the money. But it would come. If you build it, they will come.

See, i have started the plans on putting a dyno in my new shop, but by the time i have enough equity in this place, its going to be next season at the EARLIEST. I hate being behind the game, but thats how it works out i guess.

if you are not worried about making money back right away then just do it! If not you got to keep that thing spinning to get the money out of it

did anyone buy stropes? that is a pretty nice shop down there…(minus the owners) maybe ill talk my company into buying one they just bought a shop in bridgeville. and they have all the money in the world so that would be no problem.

well there are alot of st185/65 owners in the north east…

I’m looking at 4wd dyno’s, hands down.

are they selling the dyno out of it?

comeon now, i dont need people thinking i am some sort of drug dealer…i work at best buy 35 hours a week and go to school full time for the past 4.5years.