Powdercoating sweetness v. not spending $250...

I got the other 3 wheels done today. They came out pretty good, but not perfect. With these I tried a different cleaner and it didnt work as well. There is some slight orange peel in the corners, and the finish isnt as smooth. So now I know that from now on, its brake cleaner or other quickly evaporating cleaner. The one I used was more of an oil based type solvent so it never really came completely off the wheels. either way, if I was really that worried about it, I could have re-blasted them and started over, but Im fine with them esspecially for now. Before I realy start doing anything more, I need to find a way to rework my area… my dad’s basement is COMPLETELY blue from all the powder… and thats after I spent almost an hour trying to clean up… lol. Im going to either move the oven up to the garage and do the spraying outside (since minor dust/dirt in the air does not affect powdercoating like it des with paint… there is nothing wet/sticky until it goes in the oven)… or try to make an enclosed area for spraying. I was able to get the dimensions of the oven and they are roughly 17"x21"x10" so 17" wheels SHOULD fit but I would def. want to check fit before they get blasted/cleaned. once I get everything set up, I will let you guys know. OTher than that, I am still a little uneasy about the heating of the aluminum and whether or not it is overaging the metal… with just my wheels I realy dont care, but if I start doing wheels, that is a huge liability… so I would like to find out a little more about it before I go too far into doing wheels. I will keep you guys updated for sure. Anyone that may have any info on the heating issue please let me know.

Kenny

Cool. You going to wait till spring to actually put them on the Golf?

yea

about how much $ per wheel did this project cost for materials? and is there any issue sand blasting aloy rims? i thougth this would destroy them. i have a set of stock aloys that i want to do this with but am unsure how to prep them.

you have to be careful with the alloys to make sure you do not stay in one area too long or you will start to eat through it too quickly. It took a total of about 2lbs of powder which is approx. $50. Then the powdercoat system was around $70 or so. Then not really sur ehow much for the sand for blasting. Then just make sure you clean them with a quick evaporating cleaner.