Power Outage damaged computer hardware

Just wondering if any of you have experience with a power outage damaging electric components?

Last night in Kenmore, there was a small section of our block that a transformer on a pole got knocked out. We lost power for about 3 hours.

Now, I have surge strips (heavier duty) UPS units in my office hooked to all my computer hardware. After the power kicked back on, my Vonage/Linksys wireless router had no power. I did connect it to other outlets and it didn’t power up either. The cable model downstairs is fine.

Also turning on my computer, it wasn’t getting a video signal. Shutting off the monitor and turning it on, it would say no video signal. The computer would power up, but nothing would display on the screen.

I haven’t got to do much more in diagnosis with it yet. I am getting a new Vonage unit and a credit to buy a new wireless router. But in the case of my computer, am I able to file a claim with Niagara Grid? I believe the UPS/surge have some type of protection also.

So, anyone else have experience in this?
Thanks.

Best bet is probably the surge protector coverage… never have had to use it, but pretty sure that’s what its for!

I had this problem with a friends computer the last big wind storm we had (like a month and a hlaf awo now). Seems like it fried his motherboard, processor and video card…possibly the RAM as well but didn’t get that far.

I had the same symptoms that you are having, everything would power up, but no video signal at all.

Ended up just upgrading/rebuilding where needed.

don’t some surge protectors have weird warranties like it covers up to X amt of your equipment connected to it. I would not know how you would claim/prove this to them.

i’ve never seen a surge company pay out.
how old is your protection?
if only a strip, how many joules?
if only a strip or a UPS w/out automatic voltage regulation (AVR) … fail

your best bet is just to pick up another power supply, swap it in and hope for the best. If that doesnt do it… return it.

hopefully it’s just some of the components… network, video, power supply. You may get lucky and be able to disassemble everything and reassemble with some luck - I know it works after some shorts.

No video signal is most likely a fried vid car obviously. If you are powering up then it most likely is just a vid card

Yep, I lost power about a week ago and now my computer will not power up…at all. I ran a surge protector too, I have no idea what ‘broke’ on my computer.

Last ditch effort would be to reset the cmos via the jumper on the motherboard.

After that I would start replacing hardware dude…

Get a buddy with a good computer, and start switching parts around to figure out what is broken.

I’ve had best luck unplugging my stuff during an electrical storm, or when power goes out.

Any surge suppressor isn’t going to do shit.

If your power supply is older, the hit could have just fried it. Worth a cheap fix and try to buy a new power supply if your PC doesn’t power up and work from there.

Not sure if this was meant for me…but all other components that are on the surge protector are powering up okay.

Hmph I always unplug the computers and disconnect the modem from the pc during lightning/ thunderstorms.
food for thought maybe.

Yep,

I fix about 2-3 power supplies from friends computers who left them plugged in when power issues arose.

I usually buy them at officemax, they have an antec basiQ 350w one for 39 bucks…

Its a little faster than ordering online…

I’ve had that happen before it’s not cool. Better off just shutting it off and unplugging it if you know theres going to be a really strong storm.

Well, the tower is custom built from things I bought from NewEgg less than a year ago. The 22" monitor I bought on Black Friday.

My printers and fax machine are all working. I haven’t tried my 2nd computer or my laptop yet. Doing that tonight.

Therer was no thunder or lightning. It got windy all of a sudden and 30 seconds later, no power.

I can pretty much guarantee you’re not going to get any sort of payout from National Grid. Act of god, they’re not responsible, blah blah etc etc.

In… I dunno, 17-18 years I never had problems with leaving computers on during thunderstorms/wind/blizzards and losing power.
Always just boots up fine afterwards.
I just use a swarm of surge protectors w/ a light switch to turn everything on/off.

Howeverrrrr.
Has anyone ever had their powered subwoofer do crazy things?
Last night… I get in bed, about 10 minutes later after I get rly tired… My subwoofer just starts clicking and popping and sounds like some kinda alien transmission or something.
Just keeps going beeeppboopboopboopboopbeepbepp.
Then it would stop, and 30 seconds later start up again.
Scared me shitless lol. (granted it was like 2-3am)
And my cell phone lost reception at the same time, and in 3 years i never lost signal before except in the Adirondacks.

I unplugged it and sat up in bed for 30 mins before I felt safe again =] haha.

Do you have a T-Mobile/ATT cell phone? Sometimes phones near amplified speakers cause that kind of interference.

yep, ATT
never thought of that.

edit, and it was right next to the woofer.
So… mhmmm.
Thanks ;]

2nd edit;
Now for the differences in cell phones…

Cell phones that use a GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile are the major carriers that do) use a pulsing radio frequency to communicate with the cell towers, which is what you are hearing through your speakers.

GSM phones will create the pulsing interference at different levels for a number of reasons: prior to and during an incoming or outgoing call, sending and receiving text messages, transitioning between coverage areas or just as an ongoing way to register location with the system.

Another issue is the power needed to communicate with the cell towers; if your phone is having to crank up its wattage in order to connect to a weaker signal, it can introduce noise from a farther distance because it is transmitting a more powerful signal.

Cell phones that use the CDMA network, which consist of most phones from Alltel, Sprint/Nextel and Verizon, don’t use the same pulsing radio frequencies as GSM phones, so they don’t usually have this issue near computer speakers.

A possible exception for CDMA based cellular phones are the newer “world phones” that incorporate both CDMA and GSM technology in the same phone, but only when they are communicating with a GSM network.

Generally speaking, moving your phone away from your speakers (and the wires) or turning it off will reduce or eliminate the noise. Higher quality speakers can also help, but make sure to perform “the cell phone test” at the store before buying any new speakers!

learn something new everyday.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/10/why-your-clock-radio-is-all-ab.html

An article on slashdot today actually about this. It talks about iPhones but it happens with any GSM phone.

I had cheap DELL Speakers on my desk at work that it went nuts all the time. Threw them out and got a decent setup and works 100x better. Havent had any noise yet.