power steering question, leaking?

hi, i went to look at this car and it had no power steering fluid left, so i got him to fill it up to see if it had power steering, he had to put like 3-4 bottles in but it was still stiff, my question is, does power steering get this low normally? or is there a leak and he said the rack and pinion steering system was rebuild(im not sure if it has to do with power steering) but would that effect the low level? and i looked under the car and there was somehting dripping closer to the front of the engine couldnt tell what it was, should i stay away from buying this car? thanks

i have no powersteering in my car but its kinda my choice, you know what something like thatwould be easly replaced with a parts car. just make sure the rest of the car is decent. no rust good foundation/no powersteering…id buy it… (only if it was a hatch) :D:D

it is a hatch but has rust holes where spoiler was, it comes with new clutch, kyb suspension, 2.5"exhaust, bad stuff is the lights down flip up and down, driver side power window doesnt work, sound system isnt hooked up, 1000bucks u think its worth it?

link or pics? ^

i got a set of flip lights i just took off my car in perfect working condition ill sell you for dirt cheap DIRT cheap, what color is it?

if you could check check the lines from the steering rack they can be quite rusted on 15+ year old cars…

or you could just check the driveway the day after…

guranteed its leaking pretty bad if it needed 3+ litres

Well fitting some new lines is not expensive if you could bend them yourself, but its a pita to do… i was just checking out mine yesterday when installing new steering rack bushings the other day, its a web of tiny pipes haha, still holding well though

No rust + only this prob = get it
Rust + this prob and other probs = forget it unless you wana invest time restoring things like i did (my car cost 800$ initially and was undrivable haha, but it had no rust at all on frames/etc… totally cool in that respect)

not true^ the HIgh pressure line into the rack (14mm IIRC) after the pressure sensor has a weird fitting that the guys at my local hydrolick shop said they don’t have/couldn’t get, I ended up flaring my high pressure line and re-routing it because its 4" shorter now, nissan wanted nearly $200 for it IIRC

the above quote stands true for the rest of the lines more/less though