Press? RSX Balljoint/bushings

So I got the control arms off the RSX have new poly bushings to put in but need to press out old ones… can I get some kind of hand tool to do it or some one know of a shop that will do it for me…

and in the mean time when I took the control arm out I noticed the ball joints are spent… I looked, found
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1411175&parttype=10070&a=FRc1411175k1035106

they sell the ball joints…But Auto zone doesn’t even carry them??? and they also look like there pressed into the steering knuckle… is there some where that can press that out also?

thx mike

Autozone will loan you a ball joint press for free. Throw down a fully refundable deposit on a credit card and assuming you bring it back it in once piece it costs you nothing.

I did this last weekend on the Expedition. They even loan out the 36MM socket I needed to get the axle nut off. I think the deposit was $100 for the press and $20 for the socket. I know my total was $15x.xx but I bought some other stuff at the same time.

EDIT: BTW, I bought the ball joint from Rock Auto. Better prices on better name brand parts than buying local. I felt a little bad about it considering the cool tool loan program Autozone uses but I figure I still spend more than enough money at Autozone.

ok now i need to find some one who sells the ball joints local :confused:

do they have anything for the bushings?

sometimes you can get clever with a bolt and a pipe to remove the bushings…

Torch them out. Real men torch things.

ball joints out… thanks JayS…

now need to order new ones…

Eviljay there is a metel ring around the bushing if I torch it it will leave the ring :confused: I was thinking of just hitting it with an air hammer for awail see if it will come out… (the new ones are 2 peace :slight_smile: )

:tup:

If you torch the bushing I bet you can rip the remaining metal ring out with vice grips. Do it outside because they smoke like crazy. :wink:

Ok, for the ball joints, do as above mentioned.

I’ve done a ton of bushings…Odds are they won’t press out too easily or at all.
You gotta torch or cut the inner rubber out (messy). Then take a hack saw or sawzall and cut the inner metal ring in a few spots. from there hammer and chisel or air chisel and get them fuckers out of there. There a PITA but once you’ve done em a few times, they get easier.

I’ve done it this way on every car i had to remove a bushing from. its the least effort/fastest way to do it.

burn out the rubber, and the left over outer ring is soft enough to pry out with a flathead screwdriver.

Thanks. Its done. It took a bit of work, but they’re out!
Thanks for the help.

Ummm, it’s called a smoke wrench.

it’s hard to find ball joints at local stores, they tend to carry axles with ball joint pressed in. ebay is the best and cheapest place for that.

Person Auto in NT found them had to order them in from TO, and was cheaper then I found online :slight_smile:

ehhhhh wrong, blue flame wrench :stuck_out_tongue:

For what brand name though? I found some cheaper than the Moog ones I got from RockAuto, but they were some cheap brand. I trust Moog, and when I took it out of the box it was a nice quality part with a heavy duty boot, new cotter pin, new retaining clip and grease fitting. If you bought them local and still had to order them you might as well have ordered them online. The last time I ordered from RockAuto was on a Sunday afternoon and the part was at my house on Wednesday using their cheapest shipping.

The blue flame wrench is my favorite.

Moog dosn’t make one for the rsx :confused: its ACDELCO… yay chevy parts on the honda lol

I have a press. If you need it, find your way out to my house and you can use it. :slight_smile: