PROBLEM- thermostat on a 3.1 V6 (1999 Malibu)

my car has been running very hot lately… the only thing i can think of is that thermostat needs to be replaced, fans turn on just fine, coolant level is where it should be, just the car has been running 2 dashes about where it used to be… (middle of the temp gauge)

i bought the thermostat, it just looks like a BITCH to get to… anybody do one before? anybody have insight on how to do it?
anybody wanna do it???

thanks
-william

thanks to anthony, the thermostat has been changed… fluid was flushed… but the car is still running 1 dash above where it used to run and sometimes 2 dashes above it :frowning:

any ideas?

gm 3.1. head gasket?
places do coolant pressure test got like 30 bucks they will diag the over heating

i replaced the headgasket and water pump less than 30k miles ago…

and the coolant levels havent dropped…

my mom did put NON - dexcool coolant in with the coolant though… but that was like 40-50k miles ago…

:bangshead:

It is a little warmer out the last month or so. If its not over heating, its not a big problem. Sounds like your maintainence was done properly. You should be fine.

well green plus orange = sludge…and the usual issue with those therm’s is they don’t let the car warm up enough so it throws a light.

The 3.1’s and 3.4’s always run just over 1/2 on the temp gauge. Its normal bro don’t sweat it.

also it should be noted the guage is usually reading higher than the actual temp on those.

good times, i guess ill just keep my eye on it… the sludge in the reservoir was GROSE… .lol