Problems With My Shaft...

… Driveshaft that is :slight_smile:

Below are spinets from the conversation I’ve had with the company I bought my driveshaft from. Engineers & driveshaft people; let me know if this seems odd to you…

Was it inspected at all prior to installation of the driveshaft? Was the vibration coming on when you were in acceleration or deceleration? Being that you purchased the driveshaft back in April of 2010 and now its July of 2011 the items warranty is out. However going back through our notes on the driveshafts the units for the TT driveshaft has a purpose 62 degrees out of time from dead zero from the front input shaft. Its purposely set that way to eliminate the harmonics of the driveshaft to offset the vibrations and so forth.[/quote]
The vibration depends on the speed of the car and stays regardless of acceleration (on throttle) or deceleration (off throttle.) Peak vibration is between 40mph to 50mph.

The driveshaft is currently at a local driveshaft builder & supplier. I can provide you with their contact information if you’d like to call them and verify their balancing results.[/quote]
The driveshaft from what I can tell from what you are telling me seems ok but I would definitely check your mounts and bushings first. You won’t feel much of anything with the two piece unit (stock) but with a 1pc you will feel nearly everything if you don’t have your angle/geometry of the trans and rear diff in alignment. That’s very crucial.[/quote]
I don’t know how you’re coming to the conclusion that the driveshaft “seems ok” when I’ve had its lack of balance independently confirmed?

This is the 2nd Z that I’ve owned and installed a 1pc shaft on. I understand what you’re saying about the geometry, trans & diff but none of those are the problem in this case.[/quote]
As I stated before the driveshaft has a purpose offset bend to it to counter the vibration issues.[/quote]

So, does it make any sense that they would purposely put a bend in the shaft to “counter vibration issues?”

Fleet Pride said they could try to fix the shaft, but couldn’t say if it would be 100% so I’m just having them build me a new one.

Maybe I’m missing something but I thought driveshafts were supposed to be straight? :gotme:

tell them to shove the bend up their ass. theres no such thing as a “properly bent driveshaft” as they are trying to claim. if something about the factory trans or diff required the driveshaft to be heavier on one side they would have balanced the driveshaft to O THEN added the required weight. bending the driveshaft (or welding it together crooked) would be to hard of a process to control … and much harder to do … to get a supposedly required out of balance condition

they are also claiming 2 different things here, “62* from 0” and “bent” … both of which they say are correct

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Ask them how much its supposed to be bent so your guys can check its within spec. That should corner them pretty good. :slight_smile:

I offered him the contact info to talk directly to the guy who balanced the shaft… but he didn’t even acknowledge it.

He did offer to take a look at if it I paid for shipping to / from him… thanks but no thanks, lol.

I m no mechanical engineer but my blue collar education and instincts would tell me that shafts, wheels, cranks, spinning components, would require balancing to minimize vibration. The response of the company with regard to their warranty could be a little more flexible. After all, you are being honest telling them you are just installing it now. I would ask they be a bit more understanding. If they don’t, tear them apart any chance you get. You know if the shaft was damaged by you or mis- manufactured.

I bought it from TTNET during a promo from a vendor.

I’d like to make a thread over there but he said he’d “ask the manufacturer” if they could do anything… so we’ll see what happens next. Not holding my breath.

I’m not upset about him not offering me a new shaft or a refund / credit. Yeah, I’m a few months out of “warranty” and the fact that it wasn’t installed last year when I bought it is my problem alone. But don’t tell me the shaft is fine when it’s obviously not, and don’t make up stuff like it has a bend to it on purpose.

It’s like when Autocrafting in Rochester told me my underdrive pulley (on my NA Z) was supposed to wobble at idle and “it will go away when you rev the motor.” :ham:

We’ve never met face to face. Do you have any tattoos on your forehead? Yeah, I wouldn’t want to be treated like an idiot either.

out of phase and bent are 2 different things. the drive shaft is junk and they dont wanna deal with it.

onyx, I was just thinking about this

When I had my NA, I had the 2 piece driveshaft go bad and start vibrating. All I did was take the 2 piece down to a driveshaft shop and told them to make a 1-piece with the same dimensions. They didn’t do anything special with bending it on purpose or anything, and the car never vibrated a single bit after that. Just food for thought, and first hand experience that the 1-piece does not require purposeful bending in order to counteract vibrations (even though we already know that because it’s a fucking retarded idea).

It seems you got shafted…

:smiley:

Yeah I had the Z1 driveshaft on my NA and this time around just having one made local. Should be in tomorrow too :tup:

lol

check out my photoshop

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261293_10150370383296258_764651257_10231445_1642715_n.jpg

that why if i can buy something local i do it. fleet pride hooked it up with my prop shaft for my swap, and then i needed it trimmed cuz it was a lil too tight, and they did it free of charge and was done the same day.

lol :slight_smile:

Watch the Fleet Pride stuff. From my dealings with them a few years ago they could not high-speed balance driveshafts, they could only low speed balance them; this can make a difference.

AFAIK the only local place that does high speed balancing is Denny’s up on Military. (I maybe incorrect on this, it’s been a few years since I’ve needed one made/modified)

I haven’t had the car up to speed yet to check, but so far so good. Thanks for the tip though.

So that’s where you were going…

I never had issues with fleet pride… back when i was into modding trucks they built all my shafts never had an issue at any speed. they do great work.

hope every thing works out with the other place that sucks

Well after a little more time this company has sent me a new driveshaft :tup: