Proof that Blackberry just doesn't get it

Behold, their latest commercial that I saw last night…

Ok, so we’ve got an image problem of being a no fun phone for people chained to their jobs 24/7.

Let’s release a commercial where some poor bastard who looks sleep deprived is woken up for some stupid work related nonsense. No wait, same thing but we’ll have that poor bastard be woken up for a nonsense related work thing while they’re on VACATION! It’s BRILLIANT!

“Blackberry, now we can even pester you with screen shots while sleeping on vacation!”

Blackberry CEO was pretty clear that he thinks tablets will go away so they won’t invest time/money in them…

Probably a good idea since Android/iOS have the market cornered

Canadians suck

To be honest, I still think tablets are a little gimmicky with how large phones are becoming now. I believe Slates should have a huge future but I wouldnt be surprised if tablets die off eventually.

on a side note those to chicks are hot if i recall, i am at work and opt to not watch

I’m curious people keep saying PCs are dead.

How do people in highschool/college write reports?

Every business I work with uses tablets but that doesn’t cut back on the number of PCs.

They don’t have technology yet to make tablets thin enough/powerful enough to make a good replacement for laptops etc

I completely disagree.

I own an iPad and a Galaxy Nexus. It’s actually shocking how fast I can type on the iPad. I can actually use web forms to purchase items online where you have to fill out your a lot of fields. That is something I would never do on my phone. The apps are great too. I can honestly say, that if it weren’t for my wife using it, I would get rid of my laptop and stick with the Desktop/iPad combo.

This. I keep hearing “Oh they’re saying tablets will replace PCs pretty soon”…Yeah maybe in 20 years. People complain about their 19" monitors not being big enough, now they want to use a 10" screen? Office still isn’t available AFAIK for Android or iOS (supposed to be Q1 of 2013). No real market for managing an iOS/Android/BB like Active Directory/ Group Policy. And a lot of the tablets have no external connectors available for keyboards, mice, monitors, printers. They expect businesses to only user wireless and bluetooth. PCs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon

I’ll let Bing chime in on his recent BB experiences. Short story is that he bought a brand new BB, only to go back to his old phone a month or so later.

Its no doubt that tablets have found a place and purpose in a lot of industries and for personal use, but theyre still just beefed up phones for the time being. As soon as a company goes to market with a viable slate which runs a non-mobile os, I think tablets will slowly essentally become toys for kids. Ok thats a little dramatic, im sure theyll still have point of sale uses and simple stuff like that.

Pirite grabbed the new BB Z10 like the week it came out and was all stoked to get it cause he’s got a major boner for BB for some reason…but more and more I hear him making comments/complaints about the way it operates LOL. I bet he totally refuses to admit it’s a total pile of shit device…its interface APPEARS very similar to android, but doesn’t operate nearly as smoothly.

BB tried SO HARD to get into the same league, they fell WAY short.

It’s pretty simple

Blackberry marketed themselves towards businesses that traditionally move slowly when it comes to technology so they failed to keep pace with the rest of the market(Google/Android)

They had a great market however everyone started enjoying other phones for personal use so Android and iOS started rolling in enterprise features.

Blackberry didn’t spend a lot of time marketing towards home users or power users who want all the fun/cool features of modern iOS/Android.

I just like this comment for it’s bluntness.

Tablets will replace laptops in most environments and they will all use a shared desktop you can access on all your devices similar to Citrix. It is already happening. Companies don’t want to manage user PCs when they don’t have to and almost everything 90% of business people do can be put into a tablet with documents, information, and communications.

Go home and connect through a VPN to log into your cloud desktop, use your device/personal device to see the same desktop, or even a thin terminal at your desk when you are in the office. One desktop through all your devices.

Outside of healthcare where is this happening?

The reason it happens in healthcare is because you avoid leaving PHI on devices and doctors can carry tablets around that use citrix based apps and avoid security controls on laptops…I just haven’t come across it much in other verticals outside of reading email.

I realize the Xen Desktop/VMware virtual desktop piece but im interested in the tablet side.

Citrix is nice, but putting another layer of virtualization in is EXPENSIVE. PCs are cheap, and with patch/config management platforms, they are getting easier to manage, so I don’t think PCs are going anywhere.

I know significant spaces that are looking to get rid of desktops. It is a major security risk for companies and more and more want to have one desktop in a cloud that takes care of backups, images, and less work and cost in the hardware management space.

PCs are cheap but the cost to manage them is killing companies with support, patching, security updates and now with information loss as workers become mobile. Long term investment is into datacenter hardware and now that cloud computing is becoming so main stream, costs of high powered servers is dirt cheap.

Eh virtual desktops are pretty leet once you logout it reboots and any malware/whatever it gone unless its in your roaming profile.

We are in the middle of doing large Citrix environment builds right now. Trust me, it’s too expensive to be a workstation replacement for most companies. You clients/companies that do it are going to realize that they should have just hired a few junior level people to manage the existing desktops.

The desktop is here to stay, and patching is easy with SCCM/Bigfix(TEM)/etc…

But yes, I agree that in terms of security, the Citrix/Virtual solution is awesome. I just don’t see it happening on large scales due to cost.

You talk like someone who hasn’t been in the field that long or seen the business side. Yes, building infrastructure is expensive but most companies are already building massive storage networks, high intensive processing clusters, and VM infrastructure that can provide this outside of the Citrix server expense and into things such as VMware Horizon View which allows you take your entire VMware Vsphere infrastructure and start to use that as a VDI platform.

Managing desktops isn’t easy and if you have mobile users or remote sites that use small VPN links, pushing patches and updates to endpoints is not easy if they are roaming around to different offices, locations, and even mobile in the field and only VPN in.

Desktop support doesn’t sit all day and deal with “Is this device updated?” tickets, they are usually already bothered by with tickets around application support and most unpatched PCs go through networks for months without being noticed and sometimes even continually run spyware. Also losing a device, re imaging ones every new employee and account cleanup of employee terminations are all tasks that fall into this desktop support realm what “a few junior level people” can’t handle.