PS3 in big trouble

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/personal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne.html

Putting the blu-ray drive in the PS3 may have won them the format war, but it looks like it will cost them the console war.

sounds about right…ps3 was dead when they lost exclusive rights to resident evil and final fantasy 13

Things we’ve learned, now that both sides have won a generation:
First mover advantage, game library, and console price beat superior hardware.

Yep another “fail” device… j/k but im happy i have my 360, i didnt really know how expensive blue ray was i never really cared or looked into it before so, but i wonder what the next generation of console’s will be like.

IB4 some shitty gamer comes in and says “HAHAHA OMG PS3 sux so bad, i’m glad i got this xbox tat”

Interesting article that supported what we’ve already known for awhile.

I did disagree with something minuscule that the author wrote, claiming that the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is negligible on TVs less than 50". In my experience the two medias are distinctly different, PIXAR movies can be astonishing via Blu-Ray.

With that said, I don’t know if blu-ray sales are diminishing or flourishing.

blu-ray is going to be the shortest-lived format. streaming/hard drive based content is going to quickly replace it. The next gen is going to be some type of flash drive-like device that you just plug in with a movie on it, and enjoy no loading times or damaged discs.

I was going to say the same thing. Movies are going to either become streaming or based mostly on the internet/downloading etc.

Although I have seen a few HD movies, I havent watched a Blue Ray yet. Im not about to start buying Blue Ray discs of the movies I already have all over again.

I still want a PS3, but that is only for when GT5 comes out… if ever. I am holding off until the price drops much lower. Hell, I only paid $150 for my PS2 about 5 years ago.

I dunno I like my PS3 and wouldn’t choose an Xbox 360 over it.

I agree that CD/DVD media is on the way out but I give it still another 5+ years to completely fade out and be replaced by flash memory.

Lets not forget that after almost 2 years in closed beta, the psHOME open beta is out, everyone can get it now, and it’s a huge dissapointment overall. It has less functionality than it did in the closed beta.

HOME isn’t going to help them move consoles like they hoped it would.

Really, or are you just in denial?

Well I had an Xbox 360 as well… so between the 2 I decided to keep my PS3… :shrug:

I did like Xbox Live better than PS3’s but lately I find I never have time to even play online anymore.

hah, can’t wait to show this to a few people :smiley:

Honestly of the three I have at home, usage goes as follows.

Wii
PS3

And the PS3 is only used for Blu-Ray movies, and upscaling older PS2 games in most cases. Of which new ones can’t even do anymore. It’s a good system, but the support just isn’t there.

I don’t even care anymore

If you have a shitty DVD player, yes, if you have anything respectable, no

yeah a decent upconverter on like a 42 or smaller is VERY hard to distinguish from blu-ray for 99% of applications.

I don’t think you’ll ever see streaming replace owning the disk. The people that drive the post box office movie industry are the ones with the huge collections of LEGITIMATELY purchased DVDs. They don’t want to deal with digital rights management telling them where and how many times they can play something they own or the hassles of internet enabled players. The majority of the people I see saying streaming will replace disks are the same ones that don’t pay for movies now. Quite frankly the industry doesn’t care what a bunch of pirates think.

As more people get HDTV’s, and the blu-ray players crack that magic price point of $100, blu-ray disk sales will take off.

Flash media based? Really? The cost involved vs a mass produced stamped disk with zero electronic components are huge. Blu-ray already has some special coating that protects the disk from scratches. No idea if it works, but they’re going to say it does.

They are already producing it, I saw a few artists in BestBuy offering MicroSD only media for cell phone mp3 players.

I am waiting for Blu Ray movies to drop and once they do I will start buying more.

haha I played that the other night with my buddy and just walked around talkin to what I’m sure was fat chicks. Bowling is fun though.