Purely for Curiosity

What is your idea of a (as close to it) perfect NYSpeed? This thread is in no way reflective of the administrator(s) of this site, this is purely for my curiosity.

There’s no need for comment, just vote. Thanks.

Wow…can of worms here but I commend you for opening up what hopefully results in a positive discussion.

I think a huge step in the right direction was taken as what I deem a “New Years Resolution” by the moderation of this forum to crack down on things. :tup: to that.

Now from a personal standpoint I think that the Mods in general need to be more authoritative and less emotional when posting and getting wrapped up in arguing and drama filled threads. While it is good to get some of that out and open and let it die on its own, sometimes it gets annoying with the insane bandwagoning that occurs on here.

I think we need to get back to the basis of this forum. Some good Automotive info. I know it has been talked about before but a few members dedicated to responsible automotive news and notes may spark some more automotive content on here.

I would like to see some more regulations enforced for posting in certain forums. Many other forums I frequent require X amount of posts or membership months before being granted to access in certain forums. This may be another step to take towards improving things on here.

I have always maintained the notion of divorcing Off Topic from the board as a whole. While I definetly see its place, I think its contradictory to an automotive based forum. Especially given that it is the most prevelant forum here.

I have a ton more but those are the first ones that come to mind.

Great post in the other thread, Kyle.

Fellas, please keep this thread civilized.

:slight_smile: I do what I can.

i feel like one of only 2 assholes who voted.
i need a fail sign.

That is Human nature at its finest. Wanting to belong. By siding with someone else, they can feel apart of something else. The Sense of belonging.

Dismissing the off topic section will just kill the general Automotive section. There has to be a place to post that link about umm… “Check out these tits” By not allowing people that ability, they will move elsewhere and you’ll soon see the death of a forum.

I think the largest problem is the clash between the young and old, as you mentioned in the other thread. I don’t know you personally, but I’m sure you were that stupid kid back in the day too. Everyone was, you just have less time to get caught up in it now and / or grew out of it.

I personally do not see anything wrong with the Forum right now. Sure I would like to Post in threads like: http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43733

Who use to be a co worker of mine to say congrats on the moving and good luck in the future.

Or tell some complete asshole he should go fuck himself cause he’s holding out on lots of info of his car he is selling mostly pertaining to the hack job he did when he wired up the harness.

I’ll be the first to admit, I know a fair share of auto knowledge. However i’m sure not anywhere near as much as some of the people on here so there that’s helped me a great deal in the past.

The same goes for OT, there are many areas where I know more than you and vice versa on as many topics as you can imagine.

So my opinion is, no threats(or offensive unless it’s amongst friends, leave it to members to report this to mods.), no incredibly fucked up shit posted and let it be.

btw what would my vote be considered?

Good thread Matt. Voted.

Okay, Heres my opinion for what it’s worth. I think some of the poll choices are unfair to start off, I think there should be a fair amount of moderation in the General auto, keeping it clean. As well as keeping the n00bie forum clean of beating on noobs and steering people away from the site. What happens in the Classifieds is pretty crazy, the old way was a little out of control but now nobody can vouch for how clean a car is, it’s all based soley on what the owner likes to tell someone.

I also think it sucks that people like myself have to fight for acceptance on here from bitter assholes who like to put people down and steer them away from this hobby we should all share. I feel as if people like myself are either ignored on here because we aren’t “OG” or we get bashed like speedped, who in all honesty is getting much more mature on here and is still taking a shit beating. Sure he makes some stupid posts still, but think of how bad he was when he first started on here.
This site has inspired me to do alot thus far in the direction of project cars, insight and information and I’d like to keep it that way.

The drama BS just needs to stop. We’re all here to share our love for cars and have some mild fun. Is that really that hard? I don’t think we should need to fight for acceptance on here just because we like cars.

Guys, I appreciate all your input but I just want to see poll results. If you post up opinions and such it is going to turn into drama and bickering. So again, please just vote. Thanks.

edit sorry matt didnt mean to take away from this i voted

I know you just want us to vote, but you are clearly admitting something is wrong, correct?

i know the mods i trust the mods… i’ve seen enough of both sides.

maybe it’s because i’m getting old and the board is getting younger but i agree with the way it’s going right now.

perfectly happy the way it is

i don’t see it as he’s saying something is wrong as he wants to get a good perspective of it all.
with asking the right question and not asking something like "do you think this place is gay or what?
you know what i mean or no?

Serious question- by “the way it is now”, do you mean how it was a week ago before the classifieds nightmare and all of the ensuing drama? If so, I’ll vote for that. While I’m definitely not an “OG” member, nor do I claim to have half the knowledge of many members of this forum, I’ve been a Vortex member since 2000 and I was #6 on the original Dubsinthebuff. Both of those forums, huge compared to relatively local, operate fine without the restrictions imposed recently. I’ve been on a lot of shitty forums in the past that have gone downhill fast- I never saw NYSpeed as one of them, I enjoy posting here. No forum is perfect. I can understand rules on not bumping FS threads daily and not turning those threads into off-topic disasters, but I feel it should end at that. I’m sure a lot of thought was put into the changes, but the majority of people aren’t happy with the concept, so that should be strongly considered when trying to get this forum back to what it should be.

I was going to choose the way it is now, but seeing the classifieds are completely fucked, I had to choose another option.

I enjoy NySpeed the way it is now although the classified section now sucks. I spend most my time reading General Automotive and OT threads. I enjoy reading automotive related threads but you need that change of pace thread. The world doesn’t revolve around automobiles and I don’t believe this site should completey either .

NYSpeed is supposed to be someplace to kill some time and for automotive questions and builds.

Its kind of a seasonal thing I think. Some people like myself, don’t mod my car in the winter, and if I have a question or build I’ll post it in the spring or summer. So in the winter you are going to have a lot of OT, besides drift meets, pics, and questions and comments about new cars.

I think banning people because of OT comments are stupid. Yes I’m talking about Newman. You ban somebody like him from NYSpeed you are taking a lot of knowledge from what is supposed to be an automotive forum. Look at his job and the shit he’s built, or currently is building. If he’s being a dick in an OT thread then ban him from OT.

As far as classifieds go, I like it the way it was before but thats not up to me. I like when people can vouche for cars, or can share knowledge about that specific car that the seller may not know.

Some of the cars that are sold here are whores. Look at Zerodaze’s hatch. He chimed in on threads about his former car for sale to answer questions people didnt know.

Just my two cents.

The problem with the forum was everyone used to be friends with each other to an extent. I never felt right at home back in the UBRF days 5 years ago for that reason, everyone knew each other and had a nice car and knew a shit ton about it…or was eager to learn. Now this place has expanded to a massive member base, and it’s just no longer a strong fellowship but a big community with tons of outsiders. I enjoyed UBRF back in the day more, but only because I felt like I had an idea of who everyone was. Now most the members I don’t know are quiet about themselves, not even saying what part of WNY they’re from, what they drive, or much of anything almost hiding behind their screen names. Every time I come on here, I see threads full of screen names I haven’t seen before, and have to decipher if its someone under a new name, or more likely some random 18 year old on here just wiling out in OT. I don’t know…shit isn’t the same anymore and it hasn’t been. I know I’m not the biggest car enthusiast in the game here, but I am more then familiar with them…I just have much bigger priorities and investments in my life to make as of now. But I used to love lurking around late at night when I was younger, reading the tensions between two people (usually an import driver versus a domestic, right around now…winter time) verbally duking it out…about their CARS. that’s always as bad as it got back then, and it got settled a few months later…well it never did work out like that really but you get the idea.

regardless, that’s my two cents from a long time reader that’s been here since sometime in 2002…here being this community formally known as UBRF, and now NYspeed. as for my car situation, i hope to be joining the S2000 owners soon, depending if I decide to leave the country or not. so even though i am stagnant now, i will return. it’s not easy having to sacrifice some things for others…i miss owning a car worth driving…but you have to make sacrifices to make gains in life.

For the area that this forum (and UBRF prior) caters to, OT is a necessity. Its the social aspect that keeps 99% of the active posters here. We considered getting rid of OT on UBRF a bunch of times, but it would have meant the death of the forum, and I think the same holds true here. People come here because of a common interest, cars, to shoot the shit and socialize (OT). As solely a car forum, its impossible to compete with the huge, worldwide forums for specific brands with regard to technical info, so it would essentially become a local-meets-only and classifieds bulletin board. The people who enjoy the social aspect and also contribute to the automotive forums would likely leave and go to their respective brand specific forums. Personally, if there were no OT I’d probably stop coming here and stay on saabcentral, hondatech, and tranceaddict. Sure, you’re going to get some toolbags who have no automotive knowledge and only post threads (stupid ones at that) in OT, but thats life. If they suck bad, delete them, if they are really morons or trolls, then ban them. Thats life with forums and part of being a moderator :wink: The only thing I miss about being a mod was the mods only section. Its nice not having to deal with people’s messes.

I’d say keep it the way it is :tup:

I can’t vote because the option I want isn’t there.

My vote is for:
The way it was before the classifieds were changed, long bans (not perma) for users who consistantly add nothing but drama. If you add a lot of drama but also a lot of great automotive material you get a pass.

And if it pisses you off so much cleaning up a section of the forum maybe you shouldn’t be a mod, or should at least make some more people mods to lessen the load.
PS: In no way is this me asking to be a mod. I don’t want to be, ever.