put 400 on the bike this weekend

Put about 400 miles on the bike this weekend. Rochester road signs suck, BTW.

Went up PA 18 to PA 68, got lost in Rochester for a few miles, to PA 8 thru Butler, short jaunt on I-80 then up into the PA 66 nothingness that is Allegheny National Forest, then rode back Sunday. Great ride, nothing beats getting out there and piling up the miles, even tho I ride a 1200 Sportster and now crave something bigger that resists crosswinds. Anyone else get a few miles in this weekend? post 'em up!

I rode a ‘short’ 100 mile trip to test out my new HID headlight I installed. Told the wife I had to test it (it was daylight) on Saturday afternoon and was going for a short ride. I got home 2 hours later. Then I wen out again last night to actually test it at night. Only 50 miles last night. The HID works great on low beam, but I’m not really impressed with the high beam. I’m gonna try a different color (4300k) to see if it gets better. The 6000k looks great but supposedly the more yellow it is, the better distance.

I got a few miles on my bike over the weekend because I am waiting on parts for my car.

How the hell you get lost in Rochester? Were you blindfolded?

I swear all the road signs were covered for PA 68 East (are they planning construction or something?). I crossed the 9th street bridge and all the sudden it’s like “where the hell do I go”? Then later, the turn on 68, outside of town, at the stop sign where the abandonded gas stations is, they had the “make a left turn to stay on 68 East” road signs (to Zeli) bagged over. I’m like WTF. A navigator for the next bike? :slight_smile:

Thats part of the fun of riding , who cares if you get lost thats just more time on the bike .

X2

The light color you’re using matters? never knew that would make a big difference. I am thinking about going to a dual-headlight system (both on for low and high with a dual filament ). The big single sucks. Any brands anyone would recommend for this kind of stuff?

This is what I have read. The more blue it is, the less distance the light has. The more yellow, the more distance.

The kit I bought has a second harness for another ballast, in which you could connect another hi/lo bulb to it. The hi/lo is activated by a solenoid in the bulb. I bought a 55w 6000k kit from these guys for $61.25 shipped to my door. It was well recommended by some guys on a motorcycle forum. I figured for that low price, I’ll try it out.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

It seems like a very well made product for the money. I think a replacement bulb is $15. They do offer a lifetime warranty on all components. I still want to order an extra bulb, so if it does fail, I am not down waiting for a bulb.

I will state that this HID kit is every bit as bright as my OEM Acura TL Type S HID setup, if not brighter.

Well some of the signs on 68 are pretty unintuitive. That far out (by the abandoned gas station) is not technically Rochester any more.

If you ever have plans to come out this way again shoot me a PM. I’ll go for a cruise with you.

Awesome info on the bulbs, thx.

I generalized a bit since I don’t know the area and figured it would be a good warning for anyone that might be planning on that . I usually ride out where there might be one road sign…crossing that bridge you just get hammered with heavy midday traffic and crazy road signs…what is it, turns for 65, 51 , 68, 376 all within about a 1/2 mile stretch?

Definitely, thx!