PWC Owners

yeah, either fiberglass or epoxy resin will be fine. No need to use gelcoat over it either. Fiberglass it, sand it smooth, then hit it with some paint. I REALLY recommend this paint: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64

we painted the hull of a boston whaler with this paint (basically a full resto on it) and it looked great and held up even better.

Fiberglass resin while it may appear to stick to smc, does not bond really well. You need to use a epoxy resin on it. Do some research and find out what the hull is made of.

When you say might be getting some water into ski, how much is actually accumulating in there?

Thanks for all the input, I am still researching PWC’s since this is my first one. Found the info on how to fix my gas gauge.

Well, for the people above, if someone is really interested, please PM so we can setup a date, time, price, etc. Willing to drive to your place to if needed.

I came across a 00/01 GP1200R Millenium edition waverunner. The owner told me it is a 01 but I am thinking it is a 2000 since that was the Millenium year and I couldn’t get any search results on a 01 Millenium waverunner. The pwc hasn’t been used in the past 3 years and it has been sitting in the garage since. The trailer wheels are flat from probably sitting, the underneath looks very clean, there a few marks/dings/scratches on the top part, and battery is dead. I took the battery home so it can be charged and he is going to take it out the garage so I can get a better look at it next week. He is looking for 2800 for it. Once I charge the battery and take it there, I can at least check the hours.

What else should I check and do you think the price is fair because when I check Nada, the average retail is a little above 4k?

Thanks!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2001...dard-Equipment
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2000...dard-Equipment

I’m glad theres a thread on here about this. I’m buying two skis either this year or next. Don’t know shit, dick, or piss about them. Will probably end up buying newer yamaha 4 stroke machines.

Which brings me to my question. I’ve been browsing craigslist, and there are a bunch of older (98-2002) machines on there. It seems every other add states “low compression in one cylinder”, or “blown motor” or “motor just replaced/rebuild cuz it blew up”.

Ok, now I get it. Two strokes will need top end rebuilds and such, but for fuck sakes, after ~20 hours? I know a fair amount about snowmachine two stroke motors, and they don’t need to be rebuild all the time? I’ve got a 2002 Yamaha SX Viper 700 snowmobile that has 7500miles on it, the motor was rebuilt at 6000miles. Of course, its a yamaha…

But, you would think a jetski doesn’t get beat up as much as a snowmachine? (not having to spin a track, going up hills, hammering across fields and lakes at 10,500rpm’s) All that motor has to do on a jet ski is power a pump? Do people just hold the throttle to the bar on skis and blow them up that way? I don’t get it, because I don’t know shit about these things.

2 strokes on jetskis are very reliable when built and tuned properly. Running lean on gas is the main reason they fail. Many times someone will snag a ring or seize a piston due to running lean, and then just replace that piston and never find the root of the problem. 10 hours later, they seize it again.

I think that jetski engines take more of a beating than snowmobiles. Everytime you hit a wave on a jetski and the pump unloads, the engine will rev right to limiter, and then when you come back down into the water it will get bogged; this happens constantly.

You basically just have to figure out what machines you are interested in and then spend the time researching them on a forum like Green Hulk. 4 stroke motor doesn’t mean good ski always. I know like in the Sea Doo case, there were problems with the hull separating and the supercharger pulley bearing going which is an expensive fix I believe. The gp1200r that the OP is looking into has problems with the pump shoe tunnel cracking and some kind of clips in the power valves not secured properly allowing them to drop in over time taking out a piston. As in purchasing anything costly, just do the research.

As for the (98-2002) Craigslist skis that list low compression, your talking about on avg 10 year old skis. They probably never had a top end done on them. lol

Thanks man and I haven’t forgotten about the meet-up/work. Just want to enjoy the remaining summer before getting work done on ski.

So, I’m pretty close to buying some skis. Going to look at a 2003 Seadoo GTX 1200 4-Tec and a 2003 Honda Aquatrax F12X (something like that, turbo 4cyl). Both are 4strokes. Any input? From what I’ve read, they both are pretty decent machines. They come with a 2 place trailer and a ton of extras (tow rope, life jackets, ect).

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Another thing:

Are these thing actually fun? I was on one once when I was a kid down at rushford, and it was kinda cool, but nothing that really blew my socks off. It was a long time ago though. My old lady is really into these things and wants to get some, I guess if it sucks, I can always get rid of them.

If they are fast, they’re really fun. My cousin has a newer Yamaha with a turbo or super charged motor. Took that thing for a ride and I almost fell off the back when I hit the gas. Was not expecting it to pack that much punch. The slower ones are sorta meh.

These apparently do 60+mph. I can’t see the need to go any faster than that on water. I dunno, we’ll see I guess.

60mph is damn good for a jet ski. I always enjoyed riding them on the coast where you can find some marsh lands and go exploring around in some of the tight channels that wind through the marsh. Almost makes it like having your own personal race track. The maneuverability is what really makes them fun in my opinion. Obviously your mileage may vary.

Have that exact one - 2003 Seadoo GTX 1200 4-Tec
Awesome machine, always has been reliable for us.
Thing is definitely a blast, goes 60+. Also good for skiiing, wakeboarding and if you want to hurt a friend just hook a tube up to the back…hahaha.

^thanks for the info!

So, I ended up buying a 2008 Yamaha FX1100 Deluxe and a 2005 Honda Aquatrax R12X Turbo. Should be pretty cool. The Yamaha is like the Honda civic of jetskis: great fuel economy and reliable. Alot of rental outfits buy these because of these attributes. The Honda also seems to be pretty reliable, fuel economy isn’t that bad either. Both have under 50hrs on them.

The Yama does like 55mph, the Honda will do like 60-62, in stock trim. Figure they should be a good time.

Also, having a friend at the NFTA outer harbor helped too. I was able to secure a slip with drive on docks for the fucking things. This is huge. I wouldn’t have even bought these things if I had to trailer everytime.

I love the winter, (well, if we had a real winter where I could actually ride my snowmobiles), but I’m looking forward to May 15!

Also bought wetsuits for colder temps.

Sounds like a good pair of skis, I remember the Aquatrax Turbo being one of the top dogs back in the day.
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pick them up for? Was thinking about getting some new ones and curious what people are letting them go for now.

The we’re just shy of 5k each. That seems to be about the going rate for getting into a four stroke ski. Then it goes up from there. I’m pretty sure you can find four strokes for under 4k if ya look.