Quad or dirt bike

The thread from Gnocide got me thinking.

I want to get my kids into offroading in a few years. would it be better for a kid to start out on a bike or a quad. I think the quad would be easier, but when it tips over, it’s a lot more weight to hurt the kid more.

quads are better,to learn on ,but i know of to many kids getting killed on qauds,like yesterday those two kids three miles away from here!!!1

dirt bikes are cheaper and can go more places(narrow)start on a 2 wheeler my .02.
i sold my cr250 years ago and just have an opportunity to purchase a freinds quad in NC.shaggy and i both rode it and its in nice shape too.

I’m leaning towards dirt bikes, but I still like quads.

i will probably get a honda 50 for the kids and try to find an old beat to death, barely running 125 or 250 for me. If anyone knows of a old dirt bike that fits the above description, let me know. :smiley:

dirt bike i think is better…Quads are a little harder to ride than people think…there is a lot of leaning and what not involved…its not like getting in a car and pressing the gas

dirt bike a lil 50 is perfect that what i learned on when the fall over it wont crush them and they can pick it back up selevs and its easier to let go of a lil bike and slide off the back then it is a quad…easier to steer and to move around objects TREEs

i have a 95 cr 250 thats in perfect condition it been sitting in my garage i may have rode it 20 times since new ill sell it fairly cheep pm

it just taking up sapace and its mod money for my car

i’d say that when first starting out, they are about even. i don’t think one is any easier than the other. i’ve been riding / racing my whole life, i started on a 50cc dirt bike, then had quads for a long time. i had quads because i wanted to start racing and my mom wouldnt let me race dirt bikes. now, i’ve been on bikes for awhile riding / racing. here is my 2 cents. depending on where you ride, one can be better than the other. to get started racing, i strongly recomend bikes (my parents were wrong). a motocross bike will be safer than any quad on a track. the suspension is better than any quad, and the bike will be easier to control when the track gets rough. for trail riding or open field/yard riding, a quad is great. around here though, there r alot of riding spots that are very tight and have very rough, uneven terrain. that can be tough for a quad rider, especially a beginner. check out the areas where youll be riding and then decide. if its a race track or extremy tight, uneven trails (such as the south park dumps), then i say bike. if its just trail riding that isn’t too sketchy (hilly, or really uneven) then a quad is fine. good luck with your decision. also, as you can tell, i love bikes / quads. if anyone would like to hook up and ride, email me.

i have only ridden a dirt bike a couple times in my life and would like to get semi descent at it before trying to teach my kids how to ride.

I think i’ll be riding mostly very easy trails and not a lot of hills and such. it will be very basic, just something for me and my kids to get out for a little bit and enjoy the woods.

dirtbike… at least if it falls on you it doesnt weight a whole lot…

well a quad would work fine for what you are doing. on basic trails, a quad is very safe. if you start the kids out on a quad that fits them, you should have no problems and you guys will have alot of fun.

i prefure a quad but thats just because most of the trails i ride are slag dumps and i like them better out their

Im a quad guy…rode seriously for 14 years or so. I just am more into them than a bike. Ride both, then figure it out…definitly a personal opinion.

i have a 82 DS 80 for my son…i got it for the price of free…but all the kids i know get bikes first…my preference for me is a quad and for a learner a bike…easier to learn the basic mechanics of shifting handling etc…quads you get to comfortable and then do stupid things.and the equals getting hurt more often.

my son first bike was a a pw 50 with training wheels…it was a awesome bike automatic shaft drive…i bought it new when he was 5 and a half …sold it when he was 7 for 150 less than i paid for it…

just make sure when you get the kids ridding get them all the protective gear you can…it makes them safe and also makes them have more self confidence on ridding