ride atv's ?

There’s no real general discussion area on here so I’m posting here. I’m wondering if anyone here rides atv’s. I’m looking to get one and start a new hobby, I’ve never ridden before and looking to dive into this. I need something new in my life and this seems like a plan.

Hi. Yeah, I ride. Damn good hobby to have. Pretty chill atmosphere. You can be into the sportquad or the sport/utility type. I crawl around and try to keep it quiet with minimal ground disturbance. I don’t want to anger other landowners in my area. I like all quads/3-wheelers/dirbikes. But in my opinion, the quads are the most usable. You can take a friend and do some exploring if you want.

Figure out where you can ride and what you like/want to ride. Some love having a manual clutch sportquad, some like putting along on a small 4x4 quad or ripping along in a nice big-bore 4x4 quad. Good times with whatever. Most trails where I ride can be handled in 2wd. However a few rainy days can change that or any type of exploring off the trail. Pick what you want. They all have there positives/negatives. 2wd sportquad has agility and speed. 4x4 sport/utility has speed, but it doesn’t handle the best with highspeed/typsie and the steering can be very heavy.

What are you looking to do.

I’ve ridden for a long time now. Buy my quad !!! lol but for serious, i love riding i just don’t have time for it lately.

Ive got a quad and really want to go riding again. Its been a while due to being broken, being busy or nobody else wanting to go.

I hear ya. I’m hoping to buy a house and some land so I can ride with some people whenever. However, in my parents area, you just end up getting bored and wanting to explore. Wish NYS was more friendly towards ATV’s.

To be honest idk what I want. I have a buddy at work with a Honda utility quad and says he rarely ever uses 4wd . The sport quads look awesome and fun but idk if its like buying a Yamaha r1 as you first bike.

Ive got a Polaris Outlaw 500 and its my first quad. Prior to buying it I had only ridden an '87 Honda Fourtrax.

Mine is considered a sport quad because its 2wd. Its great on trails with the IRS. Its really not too fast or hard to ride.

Not a race machine by any means but it goes anywhere you have skill enough to ride it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Here’s a pic of my 08 z400 sport quad. Its perfect for tight trails and the rear kenda claws will get you about any mud you can throw at it. Start on anything smaller and you’ll be buying a bigger quad in a month. I made that mistake once.

http://images.craigslist.org/5N85I85G53E83If3H1c6se8f9ec9485151790.jpg

A Honda utility quad (ie. 300ex foreman) is a great/bulletproof quad. But there are newer quads outhere as well. I’ve had a blast of a lifetime on an old 300. I’d never say no to a proper priced one. Get what makes sense. If you know how to work a clutch, a 400ex honda would be a great runner. I love them. But if you have a few more bucks. Get a 450 sportquad. A ton of fun. But I don’t think it’s impossible to ride. Just don’t do 60mph on a tight trail and you’ll be fine. Be smart about it. However, 4x4’s are year round and can go whenever.

I haven’t ridden an atv in years but I had a blast tearing up the trails/roads as a teenager on one! sport quad is definitely the way to go, so much fun! get something that’s a 4-stroke 400cc or above, a used z400 or kfx400 would be a good start. I had a 2 stroke 200cc blaster with a pipe and that thing hauled ass, I even beat my friend’s z400 on multiple occassions, but it was a pain to maintain.

MazSpd6… where do you plan on riding. If it is all private. Def get a sportquad with a pipe. So much fun. But like I said, the 4x4 will still make it further in mud/snow.

Plan on riding with a local buddy he says there’s trails he rides here in ballston spa and gallway area some go all the way p to lake George. He says they are pretty rugged and wet.

Been looking at the Yamaha yfz450X and the raptor 350

I got a banshee for sale. And I seem to be in your area. It’s under the for sale section.

a guy at my work has a raptor and he was looking to sell it i will talk to him and let you know

my advice to you would be that if you plan on racing, and racing only buy a sport quad.
If you want to take it in the woods buy a 4x4 utility quad.

I use to own a honda foreman and also a yamaha yfz450. the race quad was screaming fast but take it off the track and try to hit the woods and it was a huge dissapointment. low ground clearance just does not work in the trails, it gets stuck and hung up every 5 feet. The utility quad was great for the woods and is just a much more versatile machine, still pretty quick too.

No offense man but I’ve never been stuck on my Z… If you’re on a trail a sport quad is a million times more enjoyable.

Same here. I don’t think I have ever been stuck on my banshee, and all I do is trail ride.

all depends on what you consider a trail. If your trail is hard packed dirt then sure, your basically looking at track conditions. If your trails include fallen down trees, mud, streams, stumps, large rocks etc then you’re going to have no fun on the trails in a sport quad. Just all depends on the trails you plan on riding.