ATV Guys...

Where do you ride? type of trails etc

I kind of want to get back into riding, the only reason i stopped was because i couldnt drive a car, so i couldnt get to the trails lol

i used to have a sport utility atv that i rode like it was a sport quad lol, i think i would be leaning more towards sport riding, although i do like tearin up the mud bogs

im kind of out of touch with the scene, so i was looking at a Z400 or an older raptor660 (even tho i don’t like the suspension on the raptor, i like the lowend power) or maybe a grizzly IDK

recommend me something? lol
i used to dirtbike too but i didnt find that as exciting

I’d probably never buy another 2wd quad, ever.

The 4x4s are heavier and a little less fun, but they fly now, and have 1000x more utility… not everyone looks for utility with an ATV but it is something you appreciate when you need it.

I don’t know what stuff is worth these days, so I’ll let other people chime in with current trends.

I ride mainly at my cabin, we have about 150 acres of mixed terrain. All about utility quads though, not that fggt shit with a chain that you bury and then you’re screwed.

I have a 650 bruteforce, I can plow the driveway, pull anything I want and still rip it up. Its not as fast as a sport quad threw the woods but still has that fun factor. Tops out high 60’s mph and gets up there fast. Mine is SRA (strait rear axle) because I like the feel of it and it allows me to power slide much easier. If you really want the ultimate 4x4 that’s a sport quad at heart then get a renegade.

If you want a sport quad there are tons to choose from. 400ex (400x as its called now) is a good choice, decent power and tons of after market. There’s always the 450’s but might be a bite high strung depending on what you want. Raptors are usually a good overall choice.

Most of the guys i used to ride with rode 4x4 quads and i’d ride my 400ex. Yes the 800lbs 4x4 went through alot but when they got stuck they were stuck, whereas my 275lbs 400ex would get stuck i’d lift the rear end up, move it over and keep riding. My 400ex would “float” over shit at high speed, where the 4x4’s would have to crawl through it.

different strokes for different folks

When I used to do dice runs all the time the sport quads would blow by me at the start, then as soon as we hit the deep stuff I’d blow by them. Same as dirtbikes, once that sprocket was buried they were done for. Used to make a few bucks pulling them out with my powerwinch though :tup:

Idk about that. I seen my buddy on his kx250 go through shit burying the rear tire and still keep going.

:word:

Getting in sticky situations isnt fun when the machine is huge. I like to be able to pick my wheeler up and get it out when its stuck or about to be. For me sport atv/atcs/dirtbikes are where its at. you can throw em around, jump, hauls ass, ride like a hooligan. work quads have their place but if your goin rippin’ you need a sport wheeler.

I used to have the z400 before i traded it for the mustang and it was by far the best atv i have ever ridden. I hate raptors they got tons of problems. txt me for more info.

I like the polaris scramblers,500 cc selectable 4 wheel drive,looks like a sport quad,they go pretty good.The fenders on them do a decent job of keeping you clean,not like my kfx 400.I dont think i would want another sport quad,the ground clarence sucks at the rear diff,easy to get stuck in the ruts from other quads.

yea i dont think i would ever get one with IRS, i had an ozark250
it wasnt fast by anymeans (topped out at 45mph i thnk) but it was 2wd, had utility racks, i had dirt devils on it and it could tear thru anything, plus i could wheelie lol

and like you said i could move it very easily thru mud with body motions, and if i got stuck who cares, that was part of the fun!

Are there any sport utility quads out there that are fun, has to be either semi-manual or full clutch

Theres those polaris outlaws and that new honda 700 that have irs, they may be better in the 4x4 ruts

2 friends of mine have Outlaws… they rip.

Under Cemetary road in Lancaster under that long bridge you can pick up some trails. From those trails you can get on a pipeline that I think goes into Alden, and probably further. A lot of it is pretty rough riding though.

i used to ride near there, there was Also a HUGE field/mining/quarry type of deal near carnut/devioustsi’s shop off pavement, its been a few years tho, and thats where that guy flipped his quad and died because he was drunk

also a few places in cheektowaga/depew near the quary, which i think goes out to where you’re talking about

we actually went on like a 10hour cruise all the way from lancaster-derby, NY because it all connects

I’ve had a bunch of different machines. A honda atc 110 3 wheeler , kx 85 dirt bike, crf 50 with an 88cc race motor, fully built 03 blaster, an 04 yfz 450 and now i got a 08 KFX 450. Sport quads are sick and you’d be suprised what they can go through with the right rider. Mine also has reverse which helps out a lot.

Utility quads are fun for a little bit but their heavy, slow(in most cases) and don’t jump well compared to a 450 sport quad. We usually ride out in allegheney county at my friends camp hes got like 150 acres. I’m planning on hitting Area 51 once my elbow gets better. Anyone ever ride quads there?

I have a track in back and live on a farm, my buddys have tracks to so i always have a place to ride

I ride in lockport/Camberia/pendelton

there is jumps, hill climbs, mud, and flats