Question about importing a car from the States

ALL you guys are posting wrong infor Unless you were Posting the RIV site…

I just actually got my kouki down there… and. this is how it goes…

You nede to notify the border your crossing 72 hours in advance with a faxed copy of title…

NEXT

get the car lol…

when you goto the border… (make sure the border office for import/export is open) only detroit is open 24h 7 days…

Niagra is only open mon to friday 8-430… This sucked… as I bought my kouki on a saturday from New york City, I had to drive all the way through Pencilveinya to goto the detroit border… WOW what a detour…

when u get to the border. U need to EXPORT the car at us customs first… MAKE SURE you have all documentation… ORIGIONAL TITLE, BILL OF SALE, and um i think thats it… I forget lol…

then there they stamp the title… for export… then u can proceed to Canada… there u get to the border and they ask anything to declare… U say…well KINDA… ughh… this car im riding in I always say… lol. then he points u in the direction of the canada customs office lol… U go in there

pay 8% as it was a MADE IN JAPAN car…
pay 226.17 for the riv administration charge.
pay 100 for AC tax
pay duty ON ACTUAL PRICE PAID FOR CAR… WINK WINK … hahah.
UNLESS its MADE IN CANADA OR USA… u dont have to pay duty as thanks to the NAFTA… you can tell this by look at teh VIN… the first letter starts with a J… ur paying duty…

Next go to home lol… and then retro fit Some dtrl… I did it by finding a ignition power source and tapping into it… easly removed for when inspection is over… and muct also have IN the car is a child restraint anchor… doesent need to be installed… juist there…

after that is done. you can REG. ur car in ont… and complete the reg…

Hope that helps… any more info needed Just ask ,

umm… yeah you almost got it. some of your info is wrong, too, though.

duty is 6.1% of the purchase price and that is what you pay when the vehicle wasn’t manufactured in north america

you pay tax (GST, which is at 5% now) at the border, on any vehicle

IF the vehicle is less than 15 years old (to the month of manufacture)

you have the RIV fee and A/C fee to pay

you leave with a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1

they mail you (or you can go to the RIV building in 'sauga and pick it up yourself the same day) the Form 2, which tells you what you need to modify

you take both those forms to crappy tire who does the inspection, and when you pass they stamp your Form 1 (and take your Form 2)

you take your stamped Form 1 (along with the other sale documents) to the MTO and this allows you to register the car, at which point you pay PST on the purchase price

IF the car you are importing is older than 15 years (to the month of manufacture)

you skip all the RIV stuff (including the fee) and take the Form 1 to the MTO.

you still pay 6.1% duty if the car was manufactured outside of north america and you still pay both taxes (plus A/C fee if the car has A/C)

yea… thats it lol… I was tired lol I forgot a few things… haha…

ok, so lets see if i have this straight. at the border i’ll pay 6.1% for my car being made outside north america, 5% gst (which is purchase price or book value?), and 100 for ac. RIV won’t apply to me b/c my car is 17+ years old so no RIV fee and i wont have to change my seatbelts/lights/add child restraint anchor or just no fee? then take forms 1 & 2 to CT, when passed got to MTO and register/ pay pst. thanks spd-dmn/spoolin. you guys have been a big help.