Question about psychological interview for DOC...

I went for the interview last Thursday and during the interview I was asked:

How many times in the past year have you consumed 6 or more alcoholic beverages?

I guess I wrote down 24 times a year for the first test

And I answered him 3 times when he asked me. Thus a +/- of 21 times. He asked for an explaination and I said

“I dont know I must of been flipping around to too many questions or I forgot to put a - between the 2 and the 4.”

Other than this I was what I would consider a prime interviewer coming in my nice black suit and never had anything so much as a parking ticket, no arrests. Said I smoked pot 3 times, because, well…that is all ive done.

What would you think if you are in my shoes? Do I still look to be a good candidate or is that going to fuck me up?

Why would you admit to smoking pot? It’s illegal!

because they gotta find something on you. yes, there are people that never do anything illegal, never do much of anything wrong, but they dont see it that way. its like if you say “nothing” then you’re too perfect and that raises a flag for them. they gotta find some shit on you.

Do you think the drinking mishap thing will be an issue?

was it for the Rochester PD

No for NYS Dept. Of Corrections.

I was supposed to go for the Rochester PD thing. I had everything set, filled out but I never did it last year because I didnt have a car then. Is Rochester PD worth looking into?

I eat, live and breathe to be in law enforcement. Whether it is as a police officer or a correctional officer it makes no difference, that’s why ive been pretty straight edge all my life, I just dont know what to expect.

I think ur ok. When i went to to henrico police in virginia they asked me a bunch of questions before i took the polygraph test. One of the questions was how many times do you think you have smoked marijuana. I told her i honestly had no idea because i hadn’t smoked marijuana in about 4 years. She said well you gotta try and remember, so i basically made up a number. “20” i said. And she said ok just remember that for the polygraph. When the results from the polygraph came back out of the 8 questions i was asked about my criminal history the only one that came back as deceptive was the drug question and i know it was because i wasnt sure how many times i had smoked marijuana because it was bugging me in the back of my head. My background investigator told me it was fine and that it happens all the time with new applicants. So in the end i got hired. So i think not being sure about something legal isnt as big of a deal.

You are fine. Agencies are getting more and more lenient on smoking week and drinking by the month. They WANT you to tell them if these honestly. You chances are better for admitting whatever they ask. They dismiss more people for lying then they do for smoking a bit of weed every now and then.

They want to see you tell the truth and be consistent.

you tell the truth - your fine. as long as its not hard drugs of course.

pot is “normal” and they expect that

I just mustve had a brain fart with the drinking question, hope they dont think I was being dishonest. I go for my physical evaluation in late october.