Question about studding ATV tires

The rims were on rockymountainatv, and the tires I got off some other site.

Google “rockymountain coupon code” and for an order over $100 you get 10% off, which helps a bit.

Link to the other site? Im on RM right now and dont see tires like those.

Thats b/c they arent on there lol. Google Cheng Shin Ice Tires(C826 i think) and they will come up. I just went to the cheapest site and bought em.

I just tried finding some cheap wheels- no luck. All I can find are polished for around $45 each. The only used ones I can find come with tires for $130 for 2 (front or rear sets) and the tires arent what I need.
Tires are $65 each for the rear.

Thats a bit more than I want to spend right now.

Looks like your slippin and slidin then!

Yeah, but it was still alot of fun last year.

Seems like shit for my quad is hard to come by and expensive when I find it.

Are you just getting rears or eventually fronts too?

Im sure Ill eventually get fronts, but for now I just wanna go/do wheelies :lol

They should be here next week, so this weekend Ill be gettin loose!

If I didnt just spend $250+ on new tires a month or so ago Id be more willing to spend a bit more on ice tires and wheels.

I kept the old fronts and theyre not all that bad but I dont know how studable they are.

www.rockymountainatv.com

or

www.denniskirk.com

I tried Rocky Mountain already.
Dennis Kirk is more expensive for the wheels ($70).

Do people usually use tubes when they stud these? Cause I would definitely recommend it.

I guess alot of people dont…

hell no man!

tubes + studes in quad tires = flats.

The whole point of studding a quad tire is to put a screw long enough that goes all the way through the inner lining so the screw doesnt pull out and it wont go flat.

look at it this way…

if you drive over a screw in your car tire, does it go flat before or after you take it out?

It leaks slowly :rofl That’s why you use slime.
Not a good comparison.

it doesnt leak if you do it right…

last winter my quad sat on 4 studded tires and I never had to put air in them…stayed the same PSI all winter.

then why do the freddette race tires require tubes and other professional studded tires have them ? because the srews go threw the tire into a liner , im not talkin about the backyard hillbilly studdin for the pond but drew your not the end all be all when it comes to quads and dirtbikes like ya think ya are not sayin i am but your not the only one that rode when they were younger :thumbup

dirtbikes you NEED tubes…quads you DONT

I have two cousins (father and son) that have been racing Pro AM TT and flat track on dirt and ice for years. Not a single one of those guys run tubes and they are racing for big money.

Yeah hes right.

The spokes on a dirtbike leak, thats why there are tubes in there.

A quad wheel is one piece, no tube needed. Also think about it, if the threads of a stud go through the lug, though the plys and into the tire, and there was a tube, it would pop instantly.

Quad tires, you stud the lugs with cold kutters. the threads have different lenghts. they dont need to go all the way threw and into air space in the tire. If you have a 2 ply tire and say a 1/2" tall lug, get 3/8" #8 threaded studs. If they pull out, they wouldnt have punctured the tire entirely, so it wont leak. BUT, they are more likely to pull out since there are maybe 1-3 LESS threads that could potentionally hold on the tire… as opposed to sending a stud though the lug, through the plys and all the way into the air space in the tire. If you do this, they still wont leak becasue the rubber gripping the threads is very tight and often a hearder compound to seal it. Also since you have as much rubber/tire gripping what ever lenght threads on the studs you have as physically possible ( since it went through the entire tire) your less likely to pull a stud out… But if you do you will have a leak. Jump up to a #10 stud 5/8" or bigger and you have a larger head and bigger dia threads to grip better.

so there are two way to “roll the dice” Short studs, without full puncture = no leaks ever but more likely to throw studs OR long studs = punctured tires but less likely to throw a stud.

As for dirt bike tires. They run tubes, but also take old bald flat track tires and cut the tread off the center of the tire. Then RTV seal the old tread into the inside of the tire against the plys. That way they have about 3/4 to 1-1/4" of solid rubber to send a stud into WITHOUT going all the way through the tire, becasue they HAVE TO run a tube. Again, this comes from expierence and knowing family that raced ice, and friends that are NYS flattrack/ice champs.

Best way to do it for an ATV. ChengShin 826’s. Cheapest ones you can get, and you can get 2 studs per lug on if you wanted to go nuts and run a heavier wheel setup. 3/8" #8’s wont puncture the tire. anything bigger will.