Studded tires: what to get?

I’ve decided to rock studded tires on my Legacy and on my girl’s Sportage 4x4. It’s our last winter in B-Lo and I don’t want to take any chances.

We drive out to the southern tier a lot (attica, belfast, olean, etc) and I’m not one to not-drive because of blizzards/unplowed roads or whatev.

What tires do you guys use if you go studded? The deadline is nov 1st - march 31st I think. I’m looking for a decent deal too since I’m probably buying 8 - don’t want to go much more than like 70 a piece? I don’t know if that’s reasonable or not.

http://www.custompocketbike.ca/shop/images/studded%20tires.jpg

Might find a way to put these on to say F-U to NY for the new licence plate bullshit.

Hakkapeliitta/thread

I do not run studs because I feel it’s over kill for these tires. I drive from N.Buffalo to EA everyday in the winter and the ski slpoes on weekends. Never had an issue, however they are not cheep.

First, you can have studded snows from Oct 15th through April 15th in the US. Never in Canada.

Second, I was very happy with my Winterforce M+S with studs if you want to go on the cheaper end. It was only like $500 for 4 tires, studded, mounted. :tup:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta’s … fucking win … I paid $400 for mine (195-60-14)… call up TCT co. in NT

I drive 125 miles a day to work and back in the winter and never had a issue … I was passing trucks on the 219 in december

I put about 7k miles on the tires and they still look brand new

Hakkas are great.
I’ve also had no issues with winterforces

got money? Nokian Hak RSI (non studdable), next step down are different Nokian Hak’s (Hak 1’s, R’s, Q’s, there’s a few depending on the distrubutor) with ECO studs, ASK FOR ECO STUDS if you want some serious road destroying spikes, They’re available from Midtown Tire (the shop’s wholesale distributor) next down from there would be Winterforce’s which are a family favorite and are quite affordable. Studs or no studs in them, you’ll be happy.

If you dont want to spend more than $70 a tire, im not sure what you are looking at. You can barely get winter tires for that, studding them is usually $10-20 more per tire.

I know the winterforce tires are as cheap as they come, you can get them from Sams club I believe, and then get them studded somewhere if you want.

If you dont plan on being here after this winter, it would suck to spend money on a real tire I suppose. Everyone likes the Hakkas, but theyre costly.

You don’t need studs. I live in the country and I’ve never needed them.

That being said, let me echo everyone else. Nokian’s.

I’m running the General Altimax Arctic tires again this season.

No studs, no need for them…

They are made in germany by some big snow tire maker…

45 bucks each for 14 inchers on tire rack.

Hakka’s are the only snow tires I will ever buy. They are worth every penny. They turned my Scion into a winter beast this past winter. I never even came close to getting stuck or losing control. (except when I wanted to :P)

they’re very similar to Hak RSI’s of two seasons ago, they work awesome. Nokian designs a new tire and renames it, then the old model moves down a model name, so Hak R’s this year, look different than last year if they had a re-design… it’s tricky to follow them year to year.

Studs are overrated IMO. I live out in the hills near Springville and I’ve never had studded tires. Never had a problem.

If you need studs, you can’t drive. :slight_smile:

These look great, been reading reviews all day and I think I’m going with these. Can’t beat the price either, I should be able to get 8 tires mounted for under 600 bucks. Thanks!

edit: cursedcavy, that video proves almost nothing. I’m talking about 55-60mph on black ice covered roads with semi trucks flying by and rocking your car, not driving cautiously in some icy parking lot somewhere.

Wow, pretty rave reviews for such a cheap tire. These will be purchased :tup:

Where do you plan on getting them from? I’m having a little trouble finding them in 205/55R16.

Stupid subaru sizes.

I found them on Tire Rack for $78 a piece in that size. I actually need the same size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=General&model=Altimax+Arctic

What does the 55R16 mean? They have a lot of 205s but not specifically the 55R16, so I dunno if that even matters.