Question about the air filter on my car...

Noticed that my Injen short ram intake filter on my car is pretty damn dirty, enough to where it’s hissing badly while trying to suck in air. So my question for everyone, do I buy the recharge kit? Or should I just run up to work and get a new K&N filter to put on? My guess is that this is the original filter on it, and is probably 3ish years old.

chris its a cone fliter, you can buy the recharge kit, and it really should make a sucking noise if you rev it up Is that what your hearing ?

i was thinking about the recharge kit, but idk if its worth it cuz the filter is pretty old, it’s hissing very loud, at idle, enough to where you can hear it with the hood closed over most of the engine noise

IDK then I’d have to listen to it, are you sure its just the filter, and if its soo old I’d say just replace it

not all cone filters are rechargeable…the AEM that came with my NISMO isnt rechargable…its a paper cone filter,i dunno about the Injen

Clean it with some soap and water, see what it looks like. If it looks good reoil it. If not toss it.

well i know the injen is a cloth cone, and yeah ian its pretty old, i think i might just get a K&N, i think after my discount its like 40 something so thats not too bad

what kind of oil should i use? i heard that regular motor oil and transmission fluid are close, but can harden the rubber and cause the filter to distort

I have the worst luck with K&N recharge kits…I always end up getting to much oil on the filter which in turn gets oil all over my MAF.

if its cloth i dont believe u can recharge it…jsut get a cheapo $20 one from AZ

just replace it then, Im not sure though wheather or not that hissing has to do with the filter

i just went out to start the car, and let it idle, i had my brother come out with me to listen to when we opened the hood he pointed to the filter too, if you put your head up to the filter you can hear its really struggling to get air into it. as opposed to a normal filter where it only hissing that loud when rpms are up

Hmmm, ditch it then

holy shit its an air filter.replace it.

not to sound like a dick, but if i don’t HAVE to spend 40 dollars on a new one, I won’t, cuz I’m not made of money. Unless of course, you’d like to contribute $$ towards this…

I just meant clean it and if it looks like something you want on your car buy the recharge kit.

If it were me I’d try cleaning it for free with Dawn or some other oil-cutting dish soap, then give it an inspection, look for rips in the cotton or “oh shit that was just paper” and throw it away. If it looks good then spend $15 on the recharge kit.

Or just replace it and chalk up the extra $25 or whatever to peace of mind.

i think i might do this, i’m just trying to be money conscious here lol

think about how bad its killing ur MPG, then decide where the money is being wasted lol