Question about trade-ins..

How does it make dealerships scumbags to pay wholesale for vehicles? Logistically, a dealer can goto auction and buy whatever they want. So why sink themselves in something for + $X when they can own it for $Y? Just bad business. Doesn’t make them scumbags however. Everyone likes to rag on dealers it seems. Want to get KBB or Edmunds TMV for your car? Look at whatever you’re trying to buy on KBB or Edmunds at new retail or used retail value. Pay that, and a dealer will be able to show you the trade that they recommend against your car. You can’t use source A for your car and then source X for the dealers car. Apples to apples people!

+1 I dont understand why people think they can trade it in for a book value. book values themselves dnt mean shit it the wholesale value and a dealer is in to make a profit so u are obviously going to get less on a trade in. The plus side is that you save the 8% sales tax on the amount they give u in trade in which usually makes up for the low value they give you. Some of you people on here make no sense in logically think things out its not like this a a barter free trade economy. lol

It sure as hell is a barter free trade economy…

You get the pleasure of my company, I get chrome mirror covers and headlights.
Mark gets stickers, I get diverter valve and intake.
Emanuel gifts springs.

I like this system.

I was offered $1000 for my POS Blazer but I talked them into $2000. My friend went to the auction that week and watched it go thru for $400.

I bought it up at Northway auction for $2850 the year before.

all that means is that they SHOWED you $2000

Well the price of my car was lowered $2k. Thats all I wanted.