Question for the Cops/traffic people on here

I know that many bikes have issues when it comes to triggering lights. I am constantly having trouble on my bike as I sometimes have to go into work early enough that there are no other cars on the road and so I dont have anyone to trigger them for me. What does the law state, or what is the legal course of action when you’re on your bike and not triggering the light?
Thanks

Kenny

There is nothing that I have ever seen or heard of. Try turning off the bike and starting it a few times, the extra magnetic field of your starter may help out a little bit. Or search online for the magnets they use in computer harddrives and attach a few to the bottom of your bike, I have heard of both things working to some extent.

I feel like there was a thread on this not too long ago, no?

I fucking hate when this happens. I heard about putting magnets under the bike, but am not sure if they work. I am pretty sure if you run a light a cop WILL give you a ticket.

I was riding with crazyz250 and his gf the other night and they were waiting at the light for a good 5 mins. I got fed up after about 30 seconds andtook a right on red …then proceeded to wheelie back and forth past them while they were sitting there waiting and holding up traffic. :rofl

Yea pretty sure its just not legal no matter what…unless there is cop nearby who tells you to go…which I had happen one time, he had pulled someone over and I was waiting at the light FOREVER to take a left, I looked over at him and he waived me on since there was no other traffic at the intersection.

I heard about putting the magnets on your bike as well. Try doing a search on a motorcycle forum and you may find some more helpful information regarding it.

If it’s really early in the morning, I would wait a few seconds just to make sure it wont change…just in case a cop is around somewhere and doesnt say that you just blew it…

I wish I could wheelie!!! no wonder why you get your shit towed

hahahahahahahahahahaha

i usually let it go through a complete cycle (if its a turning lane) or give it a good few min. before I blow it, but either way, I was mostly just curious if there was an actual law about it. I have seen the magnets, but heard different things about them and not sure I wanna spend the money if its just junk. Wouldnt it technically be considered a “malfunctioning light” and isnt there a specific law about malfunctioning light?

i bet you could make a good defense about it being a malfunctioning light b/c if the sensor is not working, the light is malfunctioning. And according to the NYS driver’s manual(that was the only place i could find it for right now):
TRAFFIC SIGNALS
Traffic Lights

State law requires that if the traffic lights or controls are out of service or malfunctioning when you approach an intersection, you must come to a stop as you would for a stop sign. You must then proceed according to the rules of right of way, unless you are directed to proceed by a traffic officer.

I’ll go with that

Like when the power is out

I just talked to my cop buddy.

He said just make a right hand turn and then go back. Technically it’s illegal. He has also waved people through as mentioned above.

But the bit about malfunctioning light above makes most sense.

I’ve found that weaving upto a light trips more sensor strips (it thinks you’re as wide as a car) trips some sensors by my house.

If I fail to trigger it by weaving I run it after 2 minutes or so.

The myth goes installing a stick of neodymium magnet under your bike should work. Also ride you bike right at the seam of the sensor and put your kick stand.

…or so I’ve heard.

I’ve tried everything from Jackstand, to cranking to walking over and hitting the pedestrian button myths.

The only one that I’ve confirmed working was the weaving method by tripping more magnetic lines.

I remember somebody mentioning to me that they have that magnet helper, I’m planning on testing it out on the light right by my house.

I know how it works well.

Tow one of these behind your bike :lol
http://www.allmagnetics.com/images/hardware/sweepcnsmr.gif

We use the same kind of magnetic loops at my parking garage.

Some are more sensitive than others because of the depth they’re buried and the quality of the wiring can vary.

There’s a dude with an 08-09 Ninja 250, talked with him about it and asked him how the hell he gets the loops to trigger, when sometimes even big ass harleys can’t.

The answer?

Neodymium Magnet under the bike.

dud3 a wh33li3!?!??! omgz datz s0 c00l!!!