Cop Incident

Ok, so I was engine braking to a red light, I put it in 2nd and the light turned green so I just accelerated out of 2nd and went on. A cop followed me into the gas station and told me that I just rolled a red light, etc, etc. He didn’t hand out a ticket, but I want to know if I really rolled a light. I always engine brake and then brake if neccessary. I was under the impression that I can’t do thus. I have to brake like an auto car.

your fine! just some times make sure you flash the brake lights.

i brake with my engine too, but i also tap my brake a bit so the person behind thinks i’m braking and doesnt slam into me.

It was on a dead street in Mississauga too. I’ll very gently touch the brakes to avoid that “ticket” with the cops.

Yes, slammers too. I swear the roads would be safer if everyone had to learn manual first.

So what are you saying man? The cop thought you went through the red cause he saw no brake lights? It doesn’t matter how you stop or slow down, just that you do it. It’s up to the cop to really judge if you go through the light instead of staring at your lights. He was clearly wrong and is an idiot if you actually waited for the green to go through the intersection.

I do this all the time. I engine brake into every lower gear and if I don’t need to hit the brake I won’t.

Here is the best part: I was behind another vehicle that was stopped. We were the only two cars on that section of the street at that time. It could be a lot worse. I could be here with a 3 point ticket. I just wanted to know if I was actually in the wrong here.

Tapping the brakes could possibly avoid a ticket but if you ever got a ticket for that in the first place you still wouldn’t be in the wrong. You have no obligation to use your brakes to slow down for a light and there is no justification for a ticket, unless you’re just driving wrecklessly.

I don’t know if you’re in the wrong, but why not just do both? Everytime I’m slowing to a stop, I have my foot on the brake, blip the throttle, downshift. If you’re rev-matching all your downshifts, your engine braking isn’t actually that effective, and if you’re not rev-matching then you should :stuck_out_tongue:

a little excessive but I’ve wired up a push button to my brake lights before so if i feel someone is tailing to close or I’m concerned in a intersection i can get them to back off without actually braking, I only ever used if necessary and for those days when I’m just out for a drive and i just Feel like Driving, not racing every Honda with a spoiler on it

The whole point of engine braking is to not rev match though. I rev match when I want to change to a lower gear for more power but not when I’m slowing down to potentially stop.

I feel rev matching may attract the wrong kind of attention in Peel. I do it on major roads from time to time, but tend to avoid it at night when no one is around for fear that the throttle blip will lead to some bs ticket / harassment.

I dunno man, the strain on your driveline from not rev-matching is in my opinion not worth while. If you don’t want to rev-match, just throw it in neutral and use your brakes. It’s cheapest and best in the long run.
Depending on how loud your car is, it may be a problem for the law enforcement, but I’ve never been bothered, and I’ve rev-matched right beside a cruiser.

Just use your brakes? Thats what they are there for, arent they?

Then you wouldn’t have to make a thread about every problem you run into

I live in a major city, so of course I use my brakes. It’s a Peel thing. You live in London, so you won’t understand the bs. Someone is up on charges for going through a drive thru ffs. That’s how bad Peel is. A quarter of the population is cops, cops with nothing better to do than follow you home, to work, there’s even cops to watch cops watch you-just ask any Peel dude. They just wait for the slightest possible infraction and then have a field day most of the time. So yeah, anything to avoid the field trip is worth it here, especially in this current climate where good dudes are being charged criminally for no reason.

Yeah, ideally rev matching is also a good thing. I pop it into neutral and kill the exhaust to avoid the exhaust ticket/ a cop following me if they are around. Ffs it sounds like It is illegal to drive here because it is half the time. I get followed almost every day. I can’t take a shit without a cop being nearby, or outside by my car. This is out of hand.

london is only known for being a party town with a messed up by law about making noise… Try coming here and noise making will be the least of your issues! (no offence man)

I am with Feint on this one… most cops have nothing better to do over here so they kill your day with something messed up or damn well made up! Point is if he didnt run the light braking or rolling whatever the case, there is not an issue! Cop was just looking for him to flip out so he can find other causes!

^ I agree. Brampton is FUCKED!!! I think the cop was trying to get you to give him attitude or something of that nature, so he could do something.

I’ve lived in Durham, Peel and Halton. Peel is BY FAR the worst, if a week went by where I didnt get pulled over, I considered it a good week.

You can do what ever you want, as long as your front tires do not cross the stop bar while the light is red he can fuck himself. Next time ask him if he knows what engine braking is, do this as nicely as possible. Most people in this country don’t even know how to drive standard.

I’ll agree on Peel as well. Only cop troubles I’ve had were when I entered it, and I rarely enter Peel. No offence to anyone in Peel, but I don’t really think there’s anything really worth doing there that can’t be done somewhere else better.

Yah, I guess I dont get that here :). In that case, maybe you should move to London haha. Cops never say shit to me, the only thing they have pulled me over is for my plate in my front window. and just asked me to put it on.

You are in the right if the light was green before you came to a complete stop you don’t need to come to a full stop peel cops are like that trust me I’ve been driving my civic doing the speed limit and they pull me over just because lol that’s how they think the job is done