Question on Audis

bada bing

the parts for my 90q were considerably more than what they would be for my integra. you’ve been in the vw/audi world for a long time (i believe), so you probably have a lot better sources for your parts.

i agree with your statement about how the car looks even with age. my 90q looked great for it’s age. there was absolutely no rust on the 13yr old car. the only problem with mine was the clearcoat was covered in spider cracks.

I found the first problem on my 98 A4. I went to pour in some washer fluid and it poured on the ground as fast as I put it in. Not too pissed about that.

Here are to good sites for parts.
http://www.worldimpex.com/
http://www.blauparts.com/

World Impex is nice because shipping is only 1-2 days since they are located Maryland.

I have a 2001 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro 5-speed with 153,000 miles. It has been and continues to be a fantastic car. My Dad bought it new and then I purchased it from him when he bought a new A4. Since it’s been in the family, I know every last service and repair the car has had since it rolled off the lot.

The only things to need replacement since new have been the following:

A right rear wheel bearing.
Hazard switch (turn signals were acting goofy).
Left side tie rod end.
Lower rear door trim rubber.
Downpipe (flex section came apart @ 130,000).
Right rear caliper (parking brake started sticking).
Valve cover gasket (started weeping a little oil).

Other than that it’s been routine maintainance-- oil changes, timing belt and related parts, plugs, fluid flushes, filters, brake jobs and the battery. The key is maintainance-- if you buy someone elses junk/ problems you in turn will be paying to fix these things. Parts are a little more expensive than the typical Japanese products, but not that much-- you just have to know where to buy them (and where not to buy them).

The control arms are still original @ 153K, as are the coil packs, the clutch, and everything else from the intake manifold to the turbo, driveline, interior, etc.

The people stating these cars are junk are either ignorant or just plain silly.

The key is not to buy a cheap car that has been ill maintained-- that will cost you dearly in the long run. Get a thorough pre- purchase inspection from a KNOWLEDGABLE person/shop before you buy. The other thing is to find someone who knows how to work on them. A lot of so called electrical issues and other problems I have come across working on these cars are the result of mechanics who know nothing about these cars working on them and fucking things up. Do not go to a shop that doesn’t work on Audis and German cars as a main part of their business.

As a footnote, I have owned other Audis (5000TQ, 90 20VQ) and many VW’s (30+) and I love them. They are not faultless, but far from the unreliable “junk” many people would have you believe. I worked at a Import shop (mainly European Cars) for years and have seen a lot of stuff first hand.

The problem Audis were the ones that were not maintained. Most were bought used by an uneducated buyer who were then stuck with the repair bills and complained that Audis were bad cars. Don’t make the same mistake and I think you will enjoy the car. The driving experience is definately unique and a lot of fun.

oh so true. my dad own’s a passat and the only one’s that have been able to successfully fix his car has been Foreign Traffic on Rt 8 in Allison Park. They’re more expensive than most other shops, but they know their shit.

When I owned my Audi, I had my car taken to a little shop up off of Stoops Ferry Rd in Moon. The guy that owned it had been working on Audi’s for god only knows how many years and was able to tell me every little detail about my car. Problem was…he changed $90/hr for service. As he stated, if he didn’t know how to fix them himself, he wouldn’t own an Audi due to the repair bill(s).

i believe you are talking about where i work, and it is 85 an hour :slight_smile: Pete’s European Technique.

Oh and if you can, avoid the Zero tolerance motors such as my 1.8t. So when the timing belt breaks, it doesn’t ruin shit.

Almost all the VW motors are interference motors. That’s why checking the timing belt should have been the #1 thing to do before purchasing it. :thumbup:

I’m glad to see you got a job there! Last Jeff told me, you were hoping to be hired there. Now he has what…two employees total? Congrats!

Pete was an awesome guy. If I had kept my Audi, I would have been going back to him for any issues.

I’m just pissed off about it still. :hsugh:

check your bmw also :kekegay: i’m thinking you’re the one that needs your own advice!

:bigthumb: good catch

I didn’t know anything about the 1.8t when I bought it. My mom’s old Audi had the 2.8 and the timing belt broke in that, but didn’t do any damage. :dunno: I’m new to these damn European cars. :eek3:

I do know the BMW has a timing chain though. Phew.

So it’s the fault of Audi that the timing belt broke Jeff?

i would say so. i think something like a timing belt should last for the life of the car. it sounds like an important part.

Well when you find a timing belt that lasts the life of a car let me know-- I’ll be love to see how they construct it.

They do make Kevlar belts for Honda’s…not sure why not VW??? It’s aftermarket, I know…

Here’s a novel idea… timing chain? Haha