Audi Owners...Chime in...Need help ASAP

my girlfriend wants to buy a 04 A4 1.8T Cabriolet. Its convertible, 40k on it and in great shape (we just test drove it)…

she really wants it but her dad told her Audi’s are notorious for break downs and now she is scared to get it…im trying to tell her other wise. My aunt and uncle have owned audi’s all their life and have never had a single problem…I have had friends in the past that had them and they were still going strong at 200k…

is their anything that goes bad with these cars that would keep us from buying it? We both love the car.

is there a warranty?

like a CPO on the car?

only way i’d buy a newer used audi is with a CPO warranty.

whats a CPO warranty??

yes, theirs the used car dealer warranty…its from Mackeys up here in round lake. Prolly the same warranty that applied to my SS…60 day or 6k mile warranty.

What motor? T belt water pump and thermostat need to be done like 90k which is a while. For that kinda miles I would check control arms clunking and wheel bearings. They go through control arms like every 20k.

For what it’s worth- a friend of mine owned an 00 Audi and never beat it, and the thing still went to shit. It was ALWAYS broken down with some shit or another- Audi parts aren’t cheap, either. Regular brake jobs were like 800 bucks. He basically got totally fucked over with that car.

Obviously that was just one case, but it scared me for good-

1.8T

the car drove solid as hell. Couldnt even hear the road.

I had to replace my girls T-stat on her Elantra around 70k.

I just read a bunch of owner reviews and magaize reviews on this car (04 only) and they are all claiming to have very minimal problems with them and they are great cars…

the consumer report said 02 and 03’s had alot of problems but the 04’s are great.

cpo warranty = certified pre-owned… only buy it from an audi dealer not mackey’s. that place is a ripoff and will try and screw u over if anything goes wrong with it.

You can bring it to my dealer and have a PPI done (Pre Purchase Inspection). It’s only one hour of billable labor and totally worth doing if you’re going to buy an Audi. We also offer full bumper to bumper (real warranties, no bs) on any Audi even if its not from us. PM me if you’re interested.

PM sent.

Bobby LaDuke has a 1.8T, maybe might wanna PM he can help ya

what year??

Not sure… I want to say 2004 but i’m not positive on that.

1.8t is deff not the most reliable motor, if i was you id look for a v6

i’ve not had any problems with my 1.8t. the car runs strong and i just drive it. most people that have serious problems with them beat the shit outa them or cant work on the. like laduke. and the b6 shouldnt have the control arm problem of the b5’s.

why not its the same design

The B6 chassis and newer dont seem to have some of the issues the older cars do. 1.8t thats stock and taken care of shouldnt have issues. its people who do stuff that when they dont know what they are doing that have the issues

1.8T timing belt…60-70k i wouldnt wait, theyve been known to snap before that, my sisters old b5.5 passat had 78k on it and the belt was cracking… she got rid of it before it got changed, picked up a nice reliable Acura.

i know the car …remeber we do all the work for mackeys .just a word of advice avoid that shithole im suprised he is still open . thats all i can really say call me if ya want

oh yeah and when we did the oil change in it ,shit was blacker than shit mollasis and that means bad news for those 1.8 ts