Audi People - Problem 1 with my A4 1.8T

The fucking timing belt broke after having the car for 8 days. The dealership doesn’t cover the timing belt with the warranty (didn’t find this out until it broke.)

1. What am I looking at in damage (Pistons/head?)

2. How much to have engine rebuilt (if necessary)

3. Do not buy anything from Turnpike Auto Gallery. I can’t believe the Audi’s they push through that place and don’t check the timing belt. They say they do, but they obviously don’t.

If I have to buy another engine ($4-5k?) The car is gone. Only bought it for just over $6k, I don’t have money to replace the engine, nor is it worth it. I’m buying a fucking bicycle.

rings, valves, etc

Give Foreign Traffic a call at 724-449-9999 and they should be able to help you out. They’re located on Rt 8 in Allison Park. Not cheap, but they do good work.

We had it towed there first, but the TPike Auto Gallery towed it from there. So it’s back at the dealership already. If the dealership continues to be jerkoffs, I’ll talk to them.

Ouch man, definitely sucks. I hope they take care of it.

Damn man, Your luck is just about as good as mine. Sorry to hear. Hopefully there is no internal damage. Hope it all works out for you.

I’m actually heading out in a minute to check out a black TT they have. WIth all the problems they supposedly have, I still really like them.

But, I’m not really sure what you’d be looking at. At best, you could probably pick up a used head, clean up the nicks in the pistons, and slap it back together.

I don’t have time to rebuild it.

They were nice people to deal with, especially the salesman Rick, just make sure that the timing belt was checked and they have proof of it.

Zach, if the dealer won’t cover the cost of fixing it for you let me know-- I’ll help you out. To answer your question, most likely you’ll need to replace some or all of the valves. How fast was the engine turning when the belt broke?

[QUOTE=Jesse W;680619]I’m actually heading out in a minute to check out a black TT they have. QUOTE]

Why would you want to look at that?

I wasn’t driving it, so I can’t tell you. I was told it happened at about 45 MPH, not heavy acceleration but travelling up hill. 2500-3000 RPM would be my guess. Auto Trans in Drive.

that’s jive… how many miles?

sucks… chances are that you’ll be replacing some parts. not the cheapest timing belt setup to have go.

what issues are known with audi TT’s? typical oil sludge issues for lack of maintenance and timing belt stuff

100,400. So technically it needed done 20-40k ago, but never happened? Sweet.

don’t forget about oil pump, water pump, etc for regular maintenance. chances are that if timing belt was never done, neither were any of those.

Like I said, if the dealership tries to charge you let me know.

Supposedly - power window problems, coil pack failures due to engine heat (because of where the packs are placed,) and gauge cluster malfunctions.

But, I’m really digging the way the car looks, so I might just have to look past the problems :redface:

Sorry to whore your thread up Zack.

jesse, did i miss something? did you sell the miata?

Not yet. Soon though. It’ll probably be on eBay over the weekend. There’s a bunch of reasons I’d like to sell even though the car is such a blast, but in the end, I think it’s the right decision for me at this time.

Even though everyone says Audi’s are problem vehicles (the timing belt was not a suprise to me), the way they drive is worth it. My A4 is one of the best driving cars I’ve driven.

Your most likely looking at a head job. If the dealer doesn’t cover it, look for a used head and through that on, usually that’s the cheapest way to get back on the road, and of course a timing belt kit. Should to the waterpump/thermostat while your in there. Check out www.ecstuning.com. They have good deals on that stuff, and fast shipping, cause they are right outside of cleveland.

I’ve been looking for an A6, and saw quite a few there…I’ll have to think twice about that now.

sellin the miata? fag