Possble buy: 2000 Audi S4... Opinions from owners?

Searching around the interweb for an S4 for a while now, and I’m pretty sure I’ve found a keeper. It was on autotrader and had no pics, so when he finally sent the scoop and pics to me, it seems like a winner.

2000 2.7 Bi-Turbo
Black on Black
6SPD
Navigation
All service documented through an Audi dealership
$9500

I’m flying up from Fort Campbell, KY to Pittsburgh this weekend then I’ll drive up with my fiance to go check it out. Is there anything I should really check out? I sent him another email asking if he had the timing belt changed, but is there anything else I should ask/look for? I know a handful of people have experience with them on here.

Thanks!

Dave give me a call when you get to town man.

Doesn’t seem too bad, but I’m also sure that you can work that price down.

MAKE SURE you have ALL service and Carfax records, and also, make sure you have the cash flow to fix it when it breaks. Other than that, go for it.

My Audi has been living proof of Murphy’s Law, although I do no believe all Audi’s are as faulty as mine. I’d buy another just because of the interior quality and the way it drives. It drives like a dream. As far as I know, The 2.7T’s are a little better than 1.8T’s like I have, too. Timing belt is a big thing with it have 88k on it. It should have been done at least once by now.

i will buddy… hit me up i should be in friday… the new cell is 41 duece eight 12 5063… if i dont hear from you ill call you… when are you working?

He says the he has all the documentation and it is all through the Audi Dealership. I got a CARFAX and it was clean. I will probably offer about 1500 low and work from there. Well see what goes on.

Any other issues or tests that I should do before I sign the life away??

I said this already, but learned my lesson the hard way. Make sure you have the cash flow to get it fixed if it breaks. These cars are not cheap or easy to fix, so unless you do it all yourself, this won’t be a cheap car to maintain.

I don’t work while I’m at school, and have been driving around with a turbo problem for a few months now. Just don’t have the cheese to fix it.

Lot’s of info on B5 S4’s including common problems.
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1407640.phtml

yeah i saw that website and checked it out. Im printing it out and comparing it to the maintenence records that he has. Ive found alot of things too, he said something about a chip but never said if he had installed it. Is it bad if he has the APR chip? Is that safe to do, a good mod? How expensive are the brakes? Theyre drilled/slotted right? Do you have to buy them through an Audi dealership?

You need to find out if the car is chipped. Very important.

The stock turbos can be a bit unreliable and chipping the car can make matters worse. Especially, if the car is driven hard as most of these car are. Stock boost is 9psi vs. 15-18 with most chips. The increased boost will take it’s toll over time. My car was chipped at 10k miles and passenger side turbo began to go bad around 67k miles. The turbos must be replaced in pairs and it’s not a cheap repair.

The stock rotors are solid, not slotted/drilled. Replacement parts do not have to be purchased from the dealer. There are plenty of quality places with better prices.

Good job finding AudiWorld.com. It’s a wealth of information.

if it’s mint and has maintenance all done, you aren’t getting anywhere near it for 8k… just know that up front. the ‘audi’ maintenance intervals show a timing belt at 105k… so most people that aren’t audi people will never even consider changing it before that… which is problematic. You should call an audi dealer and ask how much a timing belt job is… if you aren’t doing it yourself. Like Eric said, turbos are an issue and i think the older models were more prone to it( smaller oil lines or something???) . the 2001.5’s had some other changes and are more desirable overall. they are nice cars, but if not maintained, can be a huge problem. you basically have to pull the motor to do any work on the car and under the hood is tight. good luck searching… hope you find a nice one!

don’t buy it. have given that advice before lol
they are expensive and a pain in the butt to work with

i can imagine they are a great car to drive but would consider it since german cars and i do not get along.

did you look at it and buy it???

I am going to look at it on Saturday, and i got him to send me pictures of every single little thing on the car, plus i had my fiance go check it out with a buddy of mine thats a mechanic at rorich ??sp?? caddy on west liberty ave. they both give thumbs up… the timing belt has NOT been done, but it showed no signs of wear, and a new timing belt (the good one) is $82 … so i will pick up one of them and do my 23094829034th timing belt job here within the next couple months before anything has a chance to go wrong. i feel confident that with 10+ years of experience and the amount of resources through the audi crowd that I will be able to do it with ease. ill post up and let yall know if i come home with it… and it is NOT chipped

well I wish you the best of luck with it Dave…They are comfy and resonably reliable.hit me up when you are around…

thanks buddy, i appreciate it

you got it boss, same 734 number?

I can’t speak for the 2.7t, but on the 1.8t, I would never think of doing a timing belt without doing all the tensioners and water pump, too.
If it’s laid out the same on the 2.7t, I’d look in to that.
If you’ve never done it, getting the car to service position can be fun. Now, I can do it very quickly, but the first time… wasn’t fun.
I’ve got quite a few friends with the B5 S4, and it amazes me how anyone would want to work on that.
Pulling a manifold or turbo off my car can be done in 30 minutes. On the B5 S4, not fun.

Here is a pic of one friend’s, for nothing but turbo replacement:

Once you’ve done one on a mazda they all seem easy

dude…nothing is further from the truth. You’re going to be surprised! I have maintenance records from the s4 i just bought, it was 700 in parts and 650 in labor. 9 hours to pull the motor and replace the belt and tensioners / waterpump. You can get away with the parts around $300 - $400

I do like mine though… they are nice cars! Hope it works out.

thanks for the pic the audi is similar to kl series mazda v6,which I belive Dave has done a few of. either way not fun.http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/klze.jpg

nice… those are damn close. i hear the job sucks… the AWD system makes it that much more enjoyable.

Like i said, unless you’re doing it yourself, it’s a burden in the wallet.

good luck!